Professionalism and when it goes out the window. Professionalism and when it goes out the window. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 21 to 24 of 24

Super poster

ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by billybiro View Post
    I keep hearing this, but with the exception of those occasional gigs I get from a small number of known personal associates (and they're known personal associates because they and the work they supply is not completely tulip), I've never bumped into the same person twice in almost two decades.

This may be true for permies job hopping from company to company in the same city, but for contractors, who are far more likely to move around a much wider geographic circle from one gig to the next, it's far less likely. And in my personal experience, has never happened, and probably never will.
    I have completely the opposite experience. I bump into people I've worked with quite often. I get most of my work because I left roles on good terms; people remember that and seek me out when I announce my availability on LinkedIn. Doesn't matter what I think at the end of the day, I do what I'm hired to do and just smile and invoice.

More time posting than coding

Lost It has more data than eek

Must admit I'm a little stunned by some of this thread. You lot seem to share a similar kind of expertise?

I get all my work through past jobs. Because someone has liked what I've done, or seen me as the right "fit". I'm not a "team person", I see the issue and get stuck in. But it's all networking within the trade. I can't understand how you can be in the same business and not know each other. By reputation if not through working on a similar task.

Maybe I'm too blinkered.

Some things in Moderation

cojak is a fount of knowledge

Never rant or put anything down in writing. I took particular care to be upbeat to any new joiners - who knows, they might have stayed more than 8 weeks...

Super poster

Lockhouse is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by billybiro View Post
    You keep bottling that resentment up. I'm sure it'll do wonders for your blood pressure in later life.
    That would infer I actually cared, which I don't.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...