• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract exit arrangements!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract exit arrangements!

hi
    i am about to finish my contract which did not have specified length. my contract says 4 weeks notice which i will issue but my boss says finish end of november and as there is no specified number of hours of work therefore i am not sure what should i say to him to give me the minimum number of hours during notice period.

there are lots of invoices which have not been raised for previous months -i did this to help out by splitting the monthly invoice into 2 in order to allow the employer/ client to release small amount with their convenience. now i will be raising quite a few invoices and i have fear that outside notice period client may play foul...!!

please suggest the best course of action, specially to safeguard myself against the possible foul play...

thanks.

Surely invoices for work done in the past and just not yet billed should be honoured, whether in notice or not (although may need formal chasing/dunning if client gets funny about it).

Re: hours, if the contract does not specify any hours then you may well not get any hours to work in the meantime, and therefore may not be able to bill anything for that time (albeit this will depend on what your contract says of course). Having said that if the contract does not bar you from doing other work for other clients in the same time I would have thought that would mean that you can just look for another contract to run in parallel.

Overall moral of the story as I see it? No point in "doing the client a favour" re: commercials in anticipation they will "be nice" to you in return. Personally I would be happy to negotiate longer payment terms if necessary to win or keep the business but I would not do anything informally which could be denied/abused by the other party at my expense.

Comment

Originally posted by abc111 View Post
      i will be raising quite a few invoices and i have fear that outside notice period client may play foul...!!

please suggest the best course of action, specially to safeguard myself against the possible foul play...
      make sure that you have evidence that you've delivered the items/services you will invoice for.

If you have the holy trinity of, an agreement to buy (PO or contract), proof of delivery (delivery note, timesheets, other evidence) and relevant invoices, then they have to pay.
      Get that right and even if they mess you around you have options (before going to court and in court if they don't work).

Good luck.

EDIT: On the plus side if they don't pay you don't have to pay the VAT or the corp tax. I recall you asking, in previous posts, how to avoid those and not being paid is one excellent and legal method.
      Last edited by Lance; 25 November 2017, 18:39.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

EDIT: On the plus side if they don't pay you don't have to pay the VAT or the corp tax. I recall you asking, in previous posts, how to avoid those and not being paid is one excellent and legal method.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          make sure that you have evidence that you've delivered the items/services you will invoice for.

If you have the holy trinity of, an agreement to buy (PO or contract), proof of delivery (delivery note, timesheets, other evidence) and relevant invoices, then they have to pay.
          Get that right and even if they mess you around you have options (before going to court and in court if they don't work).

Good luck.

the way it works that i receive an email from client asking to review third party design documents, i review them and send them an email with my comments for them to chase the client for updates. once all comments are closed out i issue them clearance sheet. all correspondence and progress is via emails therefore i am copying all the emails, inbox and sent.

thanks.

Comment

anyone!!

Comment

anyone!!
              I've given you your answer.
              Was there something missing?
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

anyone!!
                Your query has been answered already.

What part of it don't you understand?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

anyone

anyone!!
                  as soon as you are out the door, you will never get paid ever if they are having problems

Comment

anyone!!
                    as with previous threads of yours, you seem to like answers given to you in several ways, but still not accept them.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ersus-vat.html
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ation-tax.html
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...onditions.html

But let's look at what you have said...
                    Your contract says 4 weeks notice. Is that on both sides, or 4 weeks from your side only?
                    Your client has suggested that you finish at the end of November. If you have accepted that as your end date then you are saying that you do not want to work the 4 weeks, but only the next few days, i.e. he has asked you to accept a shorter notice period.
                    If you have accepted that, then you can only bill for the days you work up to the end of November. Unless the client has specifically stated that they will pay you 4 weeks, then based on what you have told us, I expect they will only be paying you to the end of November, but that is not definite as we do not know your contract, your client, or what they actually said to you and how you responded.

In contracts where I, or the client, have ended it early, the termination is normally discussed. It is sometimes the full notice period, but frequently it is as little as a week if I have somewhere new to go to.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X