• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well Fancy That!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Fancy That!!

There is actually somebody I've heard of in today's Google Doodle - Gertrude Jekyll's 174th Birthday

As a frequent visitor to the excellent Hestercombe Gardens in Somerset, I am a huge fan of her work and her magnus opus, Gardens for Small Country Houses, serves as a blueprint for the horticultural work in progress that is the garden here at Pip Towers.

But what I learned from the link that I find particularly inneresting is that her younger brother, Walter, was a friend of Robert Louis Stevenson who used the family name in his novel Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

I wonder how it is that Gertrude's surname is pronounced Jee-kil while that of the eponymous villain is pronounced Jeck-ill?

Inneresting.
    Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 29 November 2017, 10:27.

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    I wonder how it is that Gertrude's surname is pronounced Jee-kil while that of the eponymous villain is pronounced Jeck-ill? ..
    Much the same as that well-known town of Yate is pronounced, as you mentioned yourself, YayTay (or was it Yawtaw, I forget now ? )
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Much the same as that well-known town of Yate is pronounced, as you mentioned yourself, YayTay (or was it Yawtaw, I forget now ? )
      Yah-Tay!!

Now, your argument would hold water if there were two places named Yate, one having the prononciation Yah-Tay and the other, say, Yay-Tay.

But there aren't.

Whereas there are 2 people with the name Jekyll, fictional or otherwise, where the name is pronounced differently.

I was just wondering how that came about.

Comment

That's nothing. Some of the UK place names as pronounced by the locals are brilliant:

St Austell - Sozzle
        Barnoldswick - Barlick
        Hawick - Hoyk
        Fowey - Foy
        London - Centre of the universe
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Couple of mentions from da Hudd environs;

Slaithwaite - Slawit
          Skelmanthorpe - Shat

Comment

Where are my likes and thanks OH?

Can anyone spell out the phonetics for Kirkcudbright please?

I always forget & I may have to go there sometime.

Comment

Where are my likes and thanks OH? ...
              They would have been bestowed, with merry abandon.

But you forfeited all rights to them by misspelling "interesting", twice in one post!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                They would have been bestowed, with merry abandon.

But you forfeited all rights to them by misspelling "interesting", twice in one post!
                Well said. CUK will forgive most things, except paedos and bad spellers.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

There is actually somebody I've heard of in today's Google Doodle - Gertrude Jekyll's 174th Birthday

As a frequent visitor to the excellent Hestercombe Gardens in Somerset, I am a huge fan of her work and her magnus opus, Gardens for Small Country Houses, serves as a blueprint for the horticultural work in progress that is the garden here at Pip Towers.

But what I learned from the link that I find particularly inneresting is that her younger brother, Walter, was a friend of Robert Louis Stevenson who used the family name in his novel Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

I wonder how it is that Gertrude's surname is pronounced Jee-kil while that of the eponymous villain is pronounced Jeck-ill?

Inneresting.
                  Its not.

Its dull, tedious and boring just like your other posts.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Where are my likes and thanks OH?

Can anyone spell out the phonetics for Kirkcudbright please?

I always forget & I may have to go there sometime.
                    Cur - Cub - Ree
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X