• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The accidental PM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presumably you're being paid more, not to do any actual work. What's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      Do keep up with tech trends, the silver lining is that you only have to be able to talk the talk, the larger the company the more relevant you will be as many middle managers and senior managers have 0 technical ability (which is why they shouldn't be running IT businesses, but that's another story).
      If the world was run be techies we would have lots of great things which did not quite work - or only worked in very niche circumstances.

Business view technology as a tool to save/generate money - not technology for technologies sake!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        If the world was run be techies we would have lots of great things which did not quite work - or only worked in very niche circumstances.

Business view technology as a tool to save/generate money - not technology for technologies sake!
        you keep telling yourself that

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

We'd have lots of great things that exist without someone know what to do with it. Eventually we'd find a use case for it.

There were rumours in the 90s that the CIA were asking US tech companies to slow down because there were too many US citizens unable to cope with the rate of change at which tech was developing.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Not quite the same, but this happened to me in permieland. Went from just doing design and installation to attending pre-sales meetings, writing scoping documents, talking to techs on both sides of a project, etc.

I hated it after a few months and wanted to get back to doing what I do as soon as possible - which I did.

Comment

With any luck you will find yourself having to manage a drip with no social skills and an inability to understand that the beauty of code perfection is not more important than delivering the fscking code to specification and on time.

If that person does not break you and make you want to rock silently in a corner dribbling, you will have officially become a PM but Franky in this market I would not dump skills for management.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                With any luck you will find yourself having to manage a drip with no social skills and an inability to understand that the beauty of code perfection is not more important than delivering the fscking code to specification and on time.

If that person does not break you and make you want to rock silently in a corner dribbling, you will have officially become a PM but Franky in this market I would not dump skills for management.
                Like this chap you mean?

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Welcome to the world of the middle manager.

As you have found your new development tool of choice is the phone.

As an aside, I pity the poor bastewards who have to work under you
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

Coding can be off-shored. There will always a domestic job market for overfed middle aged people to sound convincing about a status report.

Comment

No disrespect to the OP but there is nothing worse than non PM's falling in to a PM position and thinking they can do it.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Like this chap you mean?
                      Must work though, I earn a very good living at being rubbish, if that is actually the case.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X