The accidental PM The accidental PM - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 33

Double Godlike!

LondonManc is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Must work though, I earn a very good living at being rubbish, if that is actually the case.
    I thought you'd have been more proud at having made him sit in a corner, dribbling.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    No disrespect to the OP but there is nothing worse than non PM's falling in to a PM position and thinking they can do it.
    Except PC falling into a non-PC position and thinking he can do it.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

Double Godlike!

MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge

No disrespect to the OP but there is nothing worse than non PM's falling in to a PM position and thinking they can do it.
    I'll take it further and suggest that I can think of nothing worse than the OP being my Project Manager.

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

I never said I thought I could do it I didn't realise I was going to be the PM when hired!

I'll take it further and suggest that I can think of nothing worse than the OP being my Project Manager.

That's because you're a narrowly-focused coder with a very limited imagination.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    I never said I thought I could do it I didn't realise I was going to be the PM when hired!

That's because you're a narrowly-focused coder with a very limited imagination.
    Not really, its because I find you a bit of a stuck up, prissy and fairly boring twunt actually

I have managed teams of up to 8 developers / testers before, on a few occasions.

My way of keeping in touch with the tech would be set the developers up with the concept / solution / POC or whatever and let them do the gutsy, repetitive button pushing part of it.
    I would never take a role that didn't involve such activities as it would mean I would lose my SME status.

I never said I thought I could do it
    Looks like they have chosen completely the wrong person, then.

d000hg - scorchio!

Not really, its because I find you a bit of a stuck up, prissy and fairly boring twunt actually
    If you cannot think of anything worse than having "a bit of a stuck up, prissy and fairly boring twunt" as PM I'll stand my my claim you have a very weak imagination, thanks for helping me out

Double Godlike!

If you cannot think of anything worse than having "a bit of a stuck up, prissy and fairly boring twunt" as PM I'll stand my my claim you have a very weak imagination, thanks for helping me out

Just stating what I have observed, nothing more nothing less, no "imagination" weak or otherwise required .

Double Godlike!

He just wants to see you sat in a corner, dribbling. He's a strange one, nqat, but at least he's got clear targets.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

d000hg - scorchio!

Well I'm equally glad I don't have people like you as developers weighing down my team, so consider the compliment returned.

It's not an unpleasant role, just unfamiliar not to have a tangible product "I made this". When I did it before to a lesser degree with the same client, I was lead dev/architect/technical PM so if people were not performing (or I didn't tell them what to do properly) I had the last resort to jump in and get my hands dirty but it was a very small team. Probably that is my preferred position - doing some coding, designing larger parts of the system and delegating implementation to a few people while still being in touch with the "bare metal". But then I'm someone who actually enjoys coding... I'm one of the nerds who'd rather be locked away in a basement

Double Godlike!

Well I'm equally glad I don't have people like you as developers weighing down my team, so consider the compliment returned.

It's not an unpleasant role, just unfamiliar not to have a tangible product "I made this". When I did it before to a lesser degree with the same client, I was lead dev/architect/technical PM so if people were not performing (or I didn't tell them what to do properly) I had the last resort to jump in and get my hands dirty but it was a very small team. Probably that is my preferred position - doing some coding, designing larger parts of the system and delegating implementation to a few people while still being in touch with the "bare metal". But then I'm someone who actually enjoys coding... I'm one of the nerds who'd rather be locked away in a basement
    When you say, "I made this", what do you normally make?