• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The accidental PM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Must work though, I earn a very good living at being rubbish, if that is actually the case.
    I thought you'd have been more proud at having made him sit in a corner, dribbling.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      No disrespect to the OP but there is nothing worse than non PM's falling in to a PM position and thinking they can do it.
      Except PC falling into a non-PC position and thinking he can do it.

Comment

No disrespect to the OP but there is nothing worse than non PM's falling in to a PM position and thinking they can do it.
        I'll take it further and suggest that I can think of nothing worse than the OP being my Project Manager.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I never said I thought I could do it I didn't realise I was going to be the PM when hired!

I'll take it further and suggest that I can think of nothing worse than the OP being my Project Manager.

That's because you're a narrowly-focused coder with a very limited imagination.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I never said I thought I could do it I didn't realise I was going to be the PM when hired!

That's because you're a narrowly-focused coder with a very limited imagination.
            Not really, its because I find you a bit of a stuck up, prissy and fairly boring twunt actually

I have managed teams of up to 8 developers / testers before, on a few occasions.

My way of keeping in touch with the tech would be set the developers up with the concept / solution / POC or whatever and let them do the gutsy, repetitive button pushing part of it.
            I would never take a role that didn't involve such activities as it would mean I would lose my SME status.

I never said I thought I could do it
            Looks like they have chosen completely the wrong person, then.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Not really, its because I find you a bit of a stuck up, prissy and fairly boring twunt actually
              If you cannot think of anything worse than having "a bit of a stuck up, prissy and fairly boring twunt" as PM I'll stand my my claim you have a very weak imagination, thanks for helping me out

Comment

If you cannot think of anything worse than having "a bit of a stuck up, prissy and fairly boring twunt" as PM I'll stand my my claim you have a very weak imagination, thanks for helping me out

Just stating what I have observed, nothing more nothing less, no "imagination" weak or otherwise required .
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

He just wants to see you sat in a corner, dribbling. He's a strange one, nqat, but at least he's got clear targets.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Well I'm equally glad I don't have people like you as developers weighing down my team, so consider the compliment returned.

It's not an unpleasant role, just unfamiliar not to have a tangible product "I made this". When I did it before to a lesser degree with the same client, I was lead dev/architect/technical PM so if people were not performing (or I didn't tell them what to do properly) I had the last resort to jump in and get my hands dirty but it was a very small team. Probably that is my preferred position - doing some coding, designing larger parts of the system and delegating implementation to a few people while still being in touch with the "bare metal". But then I'm someone who actually enjoys coding... I'm one of the nerds who'd rather be locked away in a basement

Comment

Well I'm equally glad I don't have people like you as developers weighing down my team, so consider the compliment returned.

It's not an unpleasant role, just unfamiliar not to have a tangible product "I made this". When I did it before to a lesser degree with the same client, I was lead dev/architect/technical PM so if people were not performing (or I didn't tell them what to do properly) I had the last resort to jump in and get my hands dirty but it was a very small team. Probably that is my preferred position - doing some coding, designing larger parts of the system and delegating implementation to a few people while still being in touch with the "bare metal". But then I'm someone who actually enjoys coding... I'm one of the nerds who'd rather be locked away in a basement
                      When you say, "I made this", what do you normally make?

Comment

Working...
                      X