• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Must be a very quiet time for Infrastructure Gigs...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must be a very quiet time for Infrastructure Gigs...

Spoken to 3 agents in the last week - each one of them asking the same question about two references. Definitely didn't have as many of these fishing expeditions a month ago. Is anyone else having similar experiences?

Expect the same through December and January.

Generally the season for time wasters
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Funny thing is, I've only really got half an eye on the market because i'm in contract, client isn't unhappy but there doesn't appear to be a lot of work on at the moment. The projects I am involved in are coming to an early conclusion so I'm just tentatively assessing my options / seeing what the market is like. Most recruiters seem obsessed with where I am at right now - trying to get any business out of my existing client would be more impossible than extracting an amicable divorce settlement out of Brillo.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
        Spoken to 3 agents in the last week - each one of them asking the same question about two references. Definitely didn't have as many of these fishing expeditions a month ago. Is anyone else having similar experiences?
        Nov & Dec are always dead for those of us that do projects, nobody in their right mind would choose to kick off a big inf project now - it used to be a dead cert that the Aussie contractors would all disappear for several weeks at Xmas, and there would normally be plenty of BAU vacancies for those who didn't fancy spending half the winter on the bench.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Nov & Dec are always dead for those of us that do projects, nobody in their right mind would choose to kick off a big inf project now - it used to be a dead cert that the Aussie contractors would all disappear for several weeks at Xmas, and there would normally be plenty of BAU vacancies for those who didn't fancy spending half the winter on the bench.
          Thanks Mordac - makes sense. I've noticed the rates for most "vacancies" if you can even call them that... I reckon most are just fake ads... Are around 30% less than usual as well. I guess that's also down to the fact most of its BAU infra support, rather than out and out project work.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
            Thanks Mordac - makes sense. I've noticed the rates for most "vacancies" if you can even call them that... I reckon most are just fake ads... Are around 30% less than usual as well. I guess that's also down to the fact most of its BAU infra support, rather than out and out project work.
            That sound of silence you hear is the death of the infrastructure space...

Most of the works moving to the software based guys. And there really shouldn’t be too many teams that still need to build on premise solutions.

Comment

Working...
            X