• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just bought some £244.05 worth of Christmas presents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone/email the vendor this morning, make sure you get through to an actual person then politely ask them to change the shipping method.

You might have an issue if you decide to play hardball (or the trader knows EU consumer rights well).

The trader does not have to refund shipping if you chose an express shipping method.

EUR-Lex - 32011L0083 - EN - EUR-Lex
    Article 13, paragraph 2:
    2. Notwithstanding paragraph 1, the trader shall not be required to reimburse the supplementary costs, if the consumer has expressly opted for a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by the trader.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

At least name and shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Alternatively, phone them this morning and resolve the issue.

FFS
        You really think the seller is going to be answering his phone this morning? He'll be out spending the £999 extra profit he just made...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Don't hold your breath, they are terrible at disputes, especially if you actually receive the goods. And never use a debit card, you get no protection except at the discretion of your bank, whereas a credit card has consumer protection enshrined in law.
          This isn't quite right. If it's Visa or Mastercard, then transactions can be charged back through their system. It's not at the discretion of the bank, but they have to facilitate it. The average customer service bod won't know a lot about it, they usually have a dedicated disputes team.

I worked on this team for a bank and even credit card disputes where usually handled via a chargeback rather than a section 75 refund.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Alternatively, phone them this morning and resolve the issue.

FFS
            I phoned them first thing after sending emails last night as proof of requesting cancellation and I got a paypal refund and I unfroze my current account that Paypal was linked to and all is well.

I was informed that was the price that Royal Mail Airsure charged for that volume of board games (4 very small expansion boxes and a couple of board games no bigger than say Monopoly).

Seems to me that their system could not split up the volume of orders into separate boxes for the order (say 1 or 2, 2 of 2) and get an immediate quote from Royal Mail for the two packets so that it lumped everything into one box and that's what Royal Mail where quoting for, either that or some developer gave up on their ordering website and wrote '999' in the code as a ballpark figure.

Anyhow I linked Paypal to my credit card but the support staff at the credit card company were very vague/wooly with their answers when I asked 'could an incoming credit card transaction which is pending be canceled minutes after being launched at the sellers side', they couldn't even speak coherent English and didn't seem to understand what I was asking them
            Last edited by sbakoola; 1 December 2017, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post

Anyhow I linked Paypal to my credit card but the support staff at the credit card company were very vague/wooly with their answers when I asked 'could an incoming credit card transaction which is pending be canceled minutes after being launched at the sellers side', they couldn't even speak coherent English and didn't seem to understand what I was asking them
              The site MoneySavingExpert.com has the answer for you.

If you pay via Paypal you lose your debit and credit card legal rights to a charge back, and section 75 for credit cards.

Therefore you should always pay by a credit card that you have specifically for the purpose of paying online. If you are paying in Euros then get one that doesn't charge you for such transactions.

Some credit card lenders are known to have a habit of lying about charge backs and section 75 e.g. Halifax to avoid doing them, while others e.g. Nationwide, Amex don't. However some of those that don't e.g. Nationwide have a habit of declining legit transactions.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What happens if your bank balance is insufficient and you have no overdraft facility, won't the transaction get bounced back?

Probably a charge for bouncing it but 30 quid is a lot less hassle than trying to sort it out with paypal and the merchant. So just draw/transfer any funds in the account until the transaction has bounced.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                X