• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just bought some £244.05 worth of Christmas presents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought some £244.05 worth of Christmas presents

Just bought some £244.05 worth of Christmas presents, board/card games and the UK online company charged me £999 more for delivery that's £1,243.04. I've been online shopping for 20 years or so and I've never experienced this. The sellers online sales team had gone home.

I phoned up Paypal and they said that they could do nothing except raise a dispute 7 days after the transaction as the transaction had already been sent to my bank. I phoned my bank which is RBS (as my RBS debit card linked to my current account which in turn is linked to my Paypal account) and they said they could do anything as they couldn't see the transaction pending and they could not block the transaction.

I'm surprised that they couldn't block the incoming transaction. RBS were nothing next to useless, one surly guy on the phone that sounded strange said that all he could do is temporarily freeze my RBS account so no money came in or out. When I asked them if they could stop a pending transaction on the RBS current account I got no straight answer.

Any advice on how to proceed ? I'll contact the sales team with the online vendor I've ordered from them before and delivery was £18 or so tops usually.

I wonder if the procedure from now is to get them to submit a Paypal refund and then I simply reactivate my current account, the money will go out to paypal and then back into my account, or will the payment request from Paypal and the refund from the seller cancel each other out and not have the money even leave my RBS account ?

no one seems to know at RBS or Paypal what will happen. Interesting and scary. I wonder if having my RBS credit card linked to my Paypal account would have made things easier or more clearer.

Not sure, but I think we've found the answer to this question.

Comment

Did they show you that delivery fee when you were buying, ie did you see full amount including that £999?

Did you buy from UK company?

Comment

FFS. I make my money on the postage of my sledges not the markup. Read my terms and conditions you joker, NO REFUNDS!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Look at the distance selling regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Did they show you that delivery fee when you were buying, ie did you see full amount including that £999?

Did you buy from UK company?
            yeah I bought from a UK online company (I've used them before). The order screen was showing that Royal Mail Airsure was £999 but I'm sure that I selected the Parcel Force option for £22.05 below it. Shipping is from UK to France. There was an option for around £11.40 below that one. I managed to get a screenshot of the order screen hitting the back button on the web browser.

They don't send order confirmation emails which is a bit suspect. The only order details are on the Paypal UK order screen, can't cancel it from there as it's showing 'completed' even though RBS don't know anything about the pending order even.
            Last edited by sbakoola; 30 November 2017, 21:15.

Comment

£1,243.04

AYCOTBAC?

The amount you are talking there only amounts to a fair (school) night out.

A force 2, "batten down the hatches situation".
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

AYCOTBAC?

The amount you are talking there only amounts to a fair (school) night out.

A force 2, "batten down the hatches situation".
                Would be nice to know if anyone on this forum knows about how Paypal UK to UK current account transactions actually work with pending transactions and subsequent refunds / cancellation. Anyone work in retail banking that has knowledge of this sort of work ? or if not consumer rights etc. say they refuse to cancel the transaction and try and deliver the goods at that delivery cost ? would they have to prove that it cost them that via Royal Mail etc ?

Comment

There’s a few lessons here isn’t there

Firstly read the terms and conditions
                  Secondly make sure you check the final bill
                  Thirdly make sure you have a copy of said bill to han
                  Fourthly don’t use a debit card against PayPal as it offers no protection whatsoever
                  Fifthly don’t use PayPal use a credit card

I very much doubt they’ll fook you over for the full amount but then again Barnier maybe a director of the company you bought from at which point you’re fooked
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    There’s a few lessons here isn’t there

Firstly read the terms and conditions
                    Secondly make sure you check the final bill
                    Thirdly make sure you have a copy of said bill to han
                    Fourthly don’t use a debit card against PayPal as it offers no protection whatsoever
                    Fifthly don’t use PayPal use a credit card

I very much doubt they’ll fook you over for the full amount but then again Barnier maybe a director of the company you bought from at which point you’re fooked
                    Thanks for the words of advice, first thing I will do is link the credit card to Paypal (but use Paypal less often as they seem to be a bit ineffectual when dealing with them). You sure that typing in your credit card number online is more secure than using Paypal though, don't think that sounds right. But Paypal as a guarantor between two counterparties in an online retail transaction seems to be p*ss poor from what I'm seeing now in terms of customer service, I'm sure there was a time 15-20 years ago when you could block incoming/pending payment demand transactions into a UK bank current account, is that not the case any more ????????!?!??

Also the online seller company have a 14 days online goods returns policy so it's doubtful that they'll try and screw me over having only made the order a few hours ago.
                    Last edited by sbakoola; 30 November 2017, 21:39.

Comment

Working...
                    X