• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension Autoenrolment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    No it is specifically for addition pension to the state one - so not NICs. NICs is for your benefits entitlement, including state pension, and the NHS*

*Yes we all know it's paid from general taxation but NICs just gives your entitlement to it.
    Entitlement to NHS treatment is determined by residency, not NIC contributions.

Comment

When pensions were first planned you were only suppose to live about 7 years on one then peg it. Unfortunately in general those who were born during the war and the baby boomers have lived too fecking long.

Luckily for the economy those who are under 30 are fat lazy feckers who have been force fed sugar and breathed loads of pollution so they will keel over before claim their pensions or only live a few years on them, like how pensions were originally planned.
      I'm also fairly certain that since then there have been a healthy number of increases in NIC's and tax, along with the increase in age of which you can retire to compensate for that. I don't disagree that generally speaking we are living longer, however no-one should be in a position to rob someone of funds they could use for their own private pension, which they can withdraw if they find themselves with the most unbearable news you could ever hope to receive in your life.

I will predicate that with I have done no more than ten minutes of research and so far cannot find anything that says you can withdraw your pension contributions under this new auto enrollment scheme, which would lead me to assume that you cannot do it.

Comment

we all know it's paid from general taxation but NICs just gives your entitlement to it.
        Then why is health tourism such a problem? Many people from Europe come here to receive treatment for something and bugger off home. Pretty sure there was a case where someone came from Africa so have a complicated birth of triplets because her home nation wanted to charge her an obscene amount of money to ensure the birth went smoothly. As soon as she was able bodied her and her family upped and left without paying the bill.

The NHS will treat anyone in need who walks in, regardless of NIC contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Not after the new "free trade" deal with USA is done after hard Brexit - under those terms it would be unfair competition with the US private health companies...

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
            Then why is health tourism such a problem? Many people from Europe come here to receive treatment for something and bugger off home. Pretty sure there was a case where someone came from Africa so have a complicated birth of triplets because her home nation wanted to charge her an obscene amount of money to ensure the birth went smoothly. As soon as she was able bodied her and her family upped and left without paying the bill. The NHS will treat anyone in need who walks in, regardless of NIC contributions.
            Those cases you mention might be unfair but they are a small overall cost on NHS.

The real cost is that people live longer...

Comment

Auto-enrolement is an example of economic nudge theory at work.

The opt-out rate is very low. It is guessed that people will not start to opt-out of them until probably next year when the contribution goes up to a percentage amount that they can see makes a difference to their take home pay.
              Yes but then they see that their £2000 into a pension pot is now worth 9% more after a year they'll soon realise it's better than all salary coming out after tax and all spare cash going in a 1% Cash ISA. Obviously you can't access a pension but that's what S&S ISA's are for. (£10k buffer zone in cash obviously).
              Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                I looked it up and it said traditionally NICs were for that.

Obviously the system has changed.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What we need is a two tier system...for interest rates. One higher rate tier paying decent amount for savings and investments to mitigate need for higher pension contributions out of stagnant wages, and one lower rate for debt. Simple.

As it is, the younger you are the less confident you can be of the rules around pensions benefiting you when you come to need it. Yet the younger you are the more you should be able to take advantage of long term investments via compound interest, if interest rates were somewhere near historical average.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                    I'm also fairly certain that since then there have been a healthy number of increases in NIC's and tax, along with the increase in age of which you can retire to compensate for that. I don't disagree that generally speaking we are living longer, however no-one should be in a position to rob someone of funds they could use for their own private pension, which they can withdraw if they find themselves with the most unbearable news you could ever hope to receive in your life.

I will predicate that with I have done no more than ten minutes of research and so far cannot find anything that says you can withdraw your pension contributions under this new auto enrollment scheme, which would lead me to assume that you cannot do it.
                    No pension scheme allows you to withdraw your contributions until you hit the early retirement age threshold, which is currently 55. That's the entire point of pensions.

Any other benefits are due to what the other policies the employer has agreed with the provider.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Those cases you mention might be unfair but they are a small overall cost on NHS.

The real cost is that people live longer...
                      You're not wrong. But let's be clear; the NHS' real problem is Jeremy Hunt.

Comment

Working...
                      X