• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Coronary Care Unit vol. CDXIV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Coronary Care Unit vol. CDXIV

Had a good run of seven years and about two days, but another heart attack apparently struck on Thursday. In my usual observant manner, I didn't find out until Sunday, when I went to the hospital complaining of shortness of breath and they told me what was going on So this lot comes from the ward where I'm waiting for an angiogram, after which they'll hopefully let me get home
    • The Complicated Legacy Of A Panda Who Was Really Good At Sex - "His name was Pan Pan. It translates to something like ‘hope,’… When he died from cancer on Dec. 28, 2016, the 31-year-old Pan Pan was the world’s panda paterfamilias: the oldest known living male and the panda (male or female) with the most genetic contribution to the species’ captive population.” Not all pandas are crap at mating, it seems.

• New York’s ‘Love Map’ Project - "We collected 482 stories of kissing and hooking up, longing looks and breaking up, and we plotted their coordinates." In other words, an interactive map of New Yorkers being crap at mating

• The Beautiful Map of Europe Drawn by Its Rivers and Streams - "If you have ever wanted to look at a map of Europe and see all of its rivers and streams outlined, well now you can. An Australian Ph.D. student from the University of New South Wales named Robbi Bishop-Taylor is the one who has redrawn Europe by mapping out its waterways." Thus:

• The Thames Shifted To Peckham? Mad Plans From The 1930s - This would have messed his map up: ”The Thames isn't very busy these days. Let's cover it over and create a massive new highway. That was the thinking behind this incredibly ambitious scheme from 1933.”

• Dreaming spies: the inside story of the KGB at Oxford - Cambridge didn’t have a monopoly on idealistic communists: ”Newly declassified documents show that, as at Cambridge, the Soviet Union fought to recruit talented students at Oxford University. The risk to British security could have been huge.”

• Voyager 1 Fires Up Thrusters After 37 Years - "If you tried to start a car that's been sitting in a garage for decades, you might not expect the engine to respond. But a set of thrusters aboard the Voyager 1 spacecraft successfully fired up Wednesday after 37 years without use." Even better than my Ford Orion

• SCOOP: 8 Missing Episodes of Fraggle Rock UK Discovered – Watch Footage from The Trial of Cotterpin Doozer and Manny’s Land of Carpets - "Jim Henson‘s TV series Fraggle Rock was remarkable in that it created international co-productions localised to different territories — which means that different countries got different versions of “outer space”, the world above Fraggle Rock… after the show finished, inconceivably, the British versions of the episodes seem to have been junked.” But now, they’re (possibly) back

• How Bacteria Help Regulate Blood Pressure - "Kidneys sniff out signals from gut bacteria for cues to moderate blood pressure after meals. Our understanding of how symbiotic microbes affect health is becoming much more molecular." Further evidence that you’re not so much a person as a sentient bag of soup

• Brexit Bus - I’ll probably get banned for posting this in General, but this game of driving a bus along the graph of the pound’s value is great fun: ”Take back control of the infamous campaign bus and see how long you can keep it from crashing.”

• Chie Hitotsuyama - "Hitotsuyama, born in Fuji, Shizuoka, Japan, started her career as an illustrator. When she began to create three-dimensional works, childhood memories of her family’s historic paper string factory led her to use paper as her sculptural medium, creating remarkable life-size animals and marine life from unwanted newspaper."

Happy invoicing!

Hope things get better soon.

Comment

93 seconds on the Brexit Bus!
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

See if they can upgrade you to an artificial heart. Surely covered in one of your previous links.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Hope you feel better soon.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            93 seconds on the Brexit Bus!
            92 longer than Theresa May....

Comment

I have to ask: If you do unfortunately snuff it, the important question is - what happens to your account on here? Who inherits your rep and your likes?
              Can I have first dibs on the monkey in your avatar - I am looking for a new pet.
              Will there be a period of mourning, with 48 hours of no bannings, and the mods sent on holiday to mumsnet?

Apart from that, get well soon

Comment

The Brunel one was amazing. The SS Great Britain launch ramps on Isle Of Dogs. I must have cycled within 20 metres of that hundereds of times. Never knew it was there.....

Comment

Sorry to hear about the heart attack! Hope you get better soon. I take it you have had another attack before, seven years ago?

On a positive note you can now have a good ol moan in general about the state of the NHS or how good it is. Always a positive side.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Had a good run of seven years and about two days, but another heart attack apparently struck on Thursday.

Seriously though, I hope everything checks out okay and you get to go home soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X