• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorhomes....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually worked with a contractor that lived in a motorhome parked on clients site. He used the vending machines and shower facilities in the office in the evenings.

When senior management found out he was terminated instantly and marched offsite by security.

Do everyone a favour and stay in a hotel or house share.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Hah fair enough when it's on your terms.

I did go the motor home show at the nec this yesr. But prices for anything decent where around 45-50k. I've followed a couple of blogs where people travel most of the year and hymer seems the motor home of choice for a second hand one.
      Depends on what you like in a motorhome - Hymer tend to be A-class style, which I personally dislike. I'd have gone for a coachbuilt (maybe a Carioca 656 which has somewhere to keep bikes etc), because the A-class type never appealed.

We looked at one that was around£150k, including a 2-seater convertable that you could park underneath. I just had visions of being like Knightrider
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I want a motorhome when I retire. However I would never get a Hymer. I have spent a few happy evenings defacing the final letter on illegally parked ones in Lllandudno.

For the others, I just put bread on the roof. The seagulls love pecking at the roves when the sun rises.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I actually worked with a contractor that lived in a motorhome parked on clients site. He used the vending machines and shower facilities in the office in the evenings.

When senior management found out he was terminated instantly and marched offsite by security.

Do everyone a favour and stay in a hotel or house share.
          That's a man with initiative, I can only assume they offered him a perm job in senior management and when he refused was marched off-site.

Comment

New motorhomes are expensive, because they are expensive things to build with a comparatively limited marketplace. A second hand one is a far better option; ours is three years old with 17k on the clock - so barely run in by van standards - and cost £35k. Depreciation seems to be fairly level until you get to the ten-year old mark where they tend to stick at the £20k barrier, mainly because people are always buying them for that sort of money.

Hymers cost loads because they're built on Mercedes chassis. Any Merc is going to be 10-15k more than the Fiat/Peugeot/Renault ones (all the same van incidentally). Transit based ones are a little cheaper but also a little less sophisticated to drive. The bulk of motorhomes are Ducatos on the Al-Co chassis base for good reason.

But for what you need, for single person use, I suggest you don't want a motorhome but a campervan. Smaller, easier to drive and park, nearly as well equipped, just a bit more faffing around when its bedtime. and around 20% cheaper from new...

As for car parks and roadsides, they tend to lack certain amenities, such as water, waste disposal and electricity. Any van is only really standalone for 2-3 days, less if you're having showers every day, even with a solar panel on the roof.
            Last edited by malvolio; 11 December 2017, 14:28.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              New motorhomes are expensive, because they are expensive things to build with a comparatively limited marketplace. A second hand one is a far better option; ours is three years old with 17k on the clock - so barely run in by van standards - and cost £35k. Depreciation seems to be fairly level until you get to the ten-year old mark where they tend to stick at the £20k barrier, mainly because people are always buying them for that sort of money.

Hymers cost loads because they're built on Mercedes chassis. Any Merc is going to be 10-15k more than the Fiat/Peugeot/Renault ones (all the same van incidentally). Transit based ones are a little cheaper but also a little less sophisticated to drive. The bulk of motorhomes are Ducatos on the Al-Co chassis base for good reason.

But for what you need, for single person use, I suggest you don't want a motorhome but a campervan. Smaller, easier to drive and park, nearly as well equipped, just a bit more faffing around when its bedtime. and around 20% cheaper from new...

As for car parks and roadsides, they tend to lack certain amenities, such as water, waste disposal and electricity. Any van is only really standalone for 2-3 days, less if you're having showers every day, even with a solar panel on the roof.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                My next gig is remote but weekly commutable if I fly
                With a motorhome like this, you don't even have to worry about where to park your helicopter....

Comment

Working...
                X