• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorhomes....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorhomes....

Looking for a used motorhome / campervan. My next gig is remote but weekly commutable if I fly - so plan to stay in a hotel during the low season as good value. I looked into a caravan but local policy dictates that this is not an option, but campervans are welcome.

So, I am after a campervan / motorhome. Had a poke about on Ebay / Autorader and can only see utter tat for anything less than £20K!

I don't mind spending some good money on one where I am likely to get close to my investment back in a couple of years - if there are any campveran owners here, and can suggest a decent dealership, and models that are sought after and to avoid, that would be great.

With shower would be good, but, I will be joining the local gym and when on campsite using local facilities so not too bothered, as long as it has a toilet and sink / gas ring etc.

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Looking for a used motorhome / campervan. My next gig is remote but weekly commutable if I fly - so plan to stay in a hotel during the low season as good value. I looked into a caravan but local policy dictates that this is not an option, but campervans are welcome.
    Do you mean the client's car park? I'd find a local camp site to be honest and not 'pikey' up the car park if that's your intention.

So, I am after a campervan / motorhome. Had a poke about on Ebay / Autorader and can only see utter tat for anything less than £20K!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nieshmann...%257Ciid%253A1
    There's more so shop around. £20k seems to be a good point in the depreciation to buy. You must check for damp, so bizarrely the really clean ones that have been kept inside aren't necessarily the safest as you won't know if they leak until 3 weeks into the gig. A filthy one that's not damp inside is not leaky.
    I don't mind spending some good money on one where I am likely to get close to my investment back in a couple of years -
    no chance. They depreciate. Add up the hotel savings you made and add that to the resale value and you might just make it worthwhile.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

MY VW T4 is for sale if you're interested - pictures available.

Good runner, well looked after, nice interior etc etc

7309: VW T4 - Vehicle details (CUK discount might be available)
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I don't mind spending some good money on one where I am likely to get close to my investment back in a couple of years - if there are any campveran owners here, and can suggest a decent dealership, and models that are sought after and to avoid, that would be great.

With shower would be good, but, I will be joining the local gym and when on campsite using local facilities so not too bothered, as long as it has a toilet and sink / gas ring etc.
        I can't help but feel if you are staying in portable home for the duration of the week then perhaps you have gone wrong in your contracting life. Apologies, if you are sitting on a million and like the idea of living in a mobile home during the week.

Comment

Is it still workable to buy a van through the business with no VAT or BIK and convert it?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            I can't help but feel if you are staying in portable home for the duration of the week then perhaps you have gone wrong in your contracting life. Apologies, if you are sitting on a million and like the idea of living in a mobile home during the week.
            I've never done a motor home for work but I think you may have not quite understood.

I loathe hotels, with a passion. The only reason why I've not got a motor home or caravan is due to other reasons, like contract surety, home working quite often, client paying for hotels etc.

The idea of a nice motor-home, that's mine, with my stuff in it whilst working away is definitely not what I'd consider slumming it. It's just likely to cost more than hotels when it all pans out.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Is it still workable to buy a van through the business with no VAT or BIK and convert it?
              as long as you don't put the conversion through the books.

I suspect you'll have to pay BIK though as most 1-man contractor companies do. Unless you have separate business premises. Not worth it IMO.

VW do a modular camper kit for their van. Get the van as a commercial vehicle, buy the modules personally was what I found when researched. The problem was that a VW van is a bit small for 3/4 nights a week, week in week out.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                I've never done a motor home for work but I think you may have not quite understood.

I loathe hotels, with a passion. The only reason why I've not got a motor home or caravan is due to other reasons, like contract surety, home working quite often, client paying for hotels etc.

The idea of a nice motor-home, that's mine, with my stuff in it whilst working away is definitely not what I'd consider slumming it. It's just likely to cost more than hotels when it all pans out.
                nah I'm just thinking if I was in the position of having to stay in hotels, B&Bs or a motor home for the duration of the week, so I could earn some cash. Then I would rethink what I'm doing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  nah I'm just thinking if I was in the position of having to stay in hotels, B&Bs or a motor home for the duration of the week, so I could earn some cash. Then I would rethink what I'm doing wrong.
                  gotcha.

I have spent far too long away from home in the past. Although I like to mix it up. If I was at home constantly I'd go mad after 4 weeks.
                  Current client suits as they pay for travel, I decide when and where I go, and I enjoy visiting London 2 or 3 times a month.

London 4/5 days a week every week? Not without a 50% rate increase (plus expenses).
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    gotcha.

I have spent far too long away from home in the past. Although I like to mix it up. If I was at home constantly I'd go mad after 4 weeks.
                    Current client suits as they pay for travel, I decide when and where I go, and I enjoy visiting London 2 or 3 times a month.

London 4/5 days a week every week? Not without a 50% rate increase (plus expenses).
                    Hah fair enough when it's on your terms.

I did go the motor home show at the nec this yesr. But prices for anything decent where around 45-50k. I've followed a couple of blogs where people travel most of the year and hymer seems the motor home of choice for a second hand one.

Comment

Working...
                    X