• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snowmageddon declared as 5 snowflakes close Terminal 5

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowmageddon declared as 5 snowflakes close Terminal 5

just 50,000 passengers effected this time

UK airports don't have spare runways they can use in times like this. This is unlike Finland etc who have snow all the time.

This means even if UK airports have their snow ploughs, deicing equipment etc ready, flights will still be cancelled as they can't prep another runway to use when they know the forecast and swap when that's full of snow.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This is drastic! MF has already been caught pretending to fly from there first class today.

There is only one leader who can help. Suity, you time has come.

Comment

I was also about to add the time between flights taking off and landing at Gatwick and Heathrow is very tight.

Air traffic control have ensured it is the minimum they can get away with, and it sometimes relies on observant pilots to stop near misses.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Heathrow and Gatwick don't have heated runways, like they do in the rest of Northern Europe...
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

london you say, both my flights worked only issue was I didn’t have time to hit the lounge but that was more due to the gate the second plane left from anything else
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

KLM cancelled both my flights today.

Comment

There's no resilience in the system - all runways are run to full capacity, landing times are as tight as they can be, etc. Any additional runways that might be built in the south east will not solve the problem, as they will also just be used to capacity.
                This is due to the airports being run by businesses who need to report maximum profits and who know that when things grind to a halt it's the airlines that have to compensate passengers, not the airports.

http://newairportinsider.com/wp-cont...rports2016.pdf
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  There's no resilience in the system - all runways are run to full capacity, landing times are as tight as they can be, etc. Any additional runways that might be built in the south east will not solve the problem, as they will also just be used to capacity.
                  This is due to the airports being run by businesses who need to report maximum profits and who know that when things grind to a halt it's the airlines that have to compensate passengers, not the airports.

http://newairportinsider.com/wp-cont...rports2016.pdf
                  One presumes that airports have to compensate airlines to some degree if they can't fly. There must be some service levels.
                  Given that EU rules allow up to 600EUR per passenger for cancelled flights and decent lumps of money for delays I will therefore infer that the airlines would rather pay the passengers than pay the airport more for better service. Or do the airlines insure against that loss?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

There will be very few delayed flights into the UK after Korbyn gets in.

Comment

Working...
                    X