Getting away from it all to find time to plan and work Getting away from it all to find time to plan and work
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 25

Nervous Newbie

daverix has no reputation

Default Getting away from it all to find time to plan and work

Hey,
    A thought occurred to me today that I need to find some serious thinking time to work on one of my projects away from the drudgeries of life.

I've heard of authors and script-writers taking themselves away to a retreat somewhere in order to work on the next novel or screenplay, and I was wondering if this is something I can do as a small business to work on planning and building a project that I've been working on for over a year now.

The ideal place would be somewhere warm, in an all-inclusive hotel so I wouldn't even have to worry about cooking / finding food, and can just concentrate on the project.

Has anyone done this before, and if so, how did you go about it / how did you get it past the accountant!

Here's hoping...
    Dave

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

I normally find my best ideas come when I am doing menial tasks between work. Driving is normally best.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

I have a but n ben in the northern most peninsula in the Isle of Skye, a fire and nothing but the sound of the weather. If I must get away from it all, that's where you'll find me.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk is always on top

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by daverix View Post
    ... how did you get it past the accountant!
    "Hey, accountant, this is what I'm going to do".

Easy.

The trick is getting HMRC to agree. On the face of it, off-site workshops are something many companies do for the reasons you outline. It seems not unreasonable to me, but you'd need to be able to demonstrate, if investigated, that you didn't spend the time off your face in the hotel bar!
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

Contractor Among Contractors

PhiltheGreek - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    I have a but n ben in the northern most peninsula in the Isle of Skye, a fire and nothing but the sound of the weather. If I must get away from it all, that's where you'll find me.
    One has a similar arrangement in the Cairngorms.

Double Godlike!

MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge

Sounds good I do a similar thing each year.

The projects never seem to work out unfortunately, but I have a fantastic time
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Contractor Among Contractors

b0redom has more data than eek

It's easy, just say to your accountant. "I'm off to an all inclusive resort in the Maldives. I'm taking a laptop to write my Hai-ku. I was also planning on taking the wife and kids/girlfriend to check my spelling/proofread."

That should be fine I can't see why either HMRC or your accountant should have a problem with it, after all it is solely and exclusively for the purposes of the business.

And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by daverix View Post
    Hey,
    A thought occurred to me today that I need to find some serious thinking time to work on one of my projects away from the drudgeries of life.

I've heard of authors and script-writers taking themselves away to a retreat somewhere in order to work on the next novel or screenplay, and I was wondering if this is something I can do as a small business to work on planning and building a project that I've been working on for over a year now.

The ideal place would be somewhere warm, in an all-inclusive hotel so I wouldn't even have to worry about cooking / finding food, and can just concentrate on the project.

Has anyone done this before, and if so, how did you go about it / how did you get it past the accountant!

Here's hoping...
    Dave
    Would you be doing this alone, or were you planning on taking any family members with you? (e.g. wife/partner)
    Would you be billing any of your clients for this work while you are doing it?
    Have you asked your accountant?

The question is not "how do I get it past the accountant?", but "how do I get it past HMRC?"
    Strong and Stable Moderation

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

I am a real writer. I have permanent writers block....