• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Star Wars Day - anyone else going to first available screening?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    My review (without spoilers) : meh (7/10).

I'm going to rewatch Rogue One to cheer myself up
    I'm much the same. Been helping my children get up to speed by watching all of them this week (TFA tonight), then taking them all tomorrow to see what they make of it (then Rogue One on Sunday and we're done for another year).

I enjoyed it, might enjoy it more on second viewing, but I'm not convinced that it's up to the hype of being as good as all the others rolled into one (as some sources had described it).
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        I'm much the same. Been helping my children get up to speed by watching all of them this week (TFA tonight), then taking them all tomorrow to see what they make of it (then Rogue One on Sunday and we're done for another year).

I enjoyed it, might enjoy it more on second viewing, but I'm not convinced that it's up to the hype of being as good as all the others rolled into one (as some sources had described it).
        I enjoyed it, and its an excellent SW film but it's not as good as some have said.

There are a couple of points that really jar as a fan, and one really big question never gets answered. And never will be based on what happens.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Not that excited about it

It's one of the Star Wars movies that I'm not hyped up about. The Force Awakens was above average with Han Solo and Co. running around the tunnels of the Millenium Falcon with a Dungeons & Dragons Eye of The Beholder chasing them down, a social justice warrior's little miss perfect being the Jedi and the repeated "let's blow up the Death Star" scene at the end. A bit naff really.

I will go see it but only when the theaters aren't packed with the hoi polloi.

I've been on a downer with movies recently, the only two I've really liked in 2 years or so are Ex Machina and Dunkirk .. go figure.

And I used to be movie mad at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            ...and one really big question never gets answered. And never will be based on what happens.
            Not sure what that question is, but the one answer we wanted after Force Awakens I'm not 100% convinced the answer given is correct, it's a bit underwhelming if so.

Two more years for the final part of this new trilogy to see if they're just ******* with us?

Edit: I expect they may do some more spin off movies (Rogue One style) to explain some of the bigger questions, particularly Snoke, where they can't answer everything in depth in a movie already a bit overly long.
            Last edited by Hobosapien; 15 December 2017, 16:30.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Edit: I expect they may do some more spin off movies (Rogue One style) to explain some of the bigger questions, particularly Snoke, where they can't answer everything in depth in a movie already a bit overly long.
              Rian Johnson is already committed to an unnamed Star Wars trilogy following this film.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Rian Johnson is already committed to an unnamed Star Wars trilogy following this film.
                Been reading opinions elswhere of those that have seen Last Jedi, and it seems many of them think the director writes the story rather than just interprets what message each scene is trying to convey.

So much so that many are slating Johnson and say JJ Abrams did a better job with Force Awakens. Apparently Abrams is directing the final movie in the current trilogy so not sure what to make of that.

I do find myself agreeing with lots of the messages coming out of the public feedback. Some are even saying this is worse than all the prequels. There are a few things I thought WTF at the time, and a few things I wish had a different outcome, so maybe it will be deemed a failure in time.

Worth seeing, to make your own mind up, as everyone has different expectations of what they'd like to see happen, and it is impossible to capture the magic of the original trilogy decades later. So I look at these as almost a reboot, which rarely improves on the original.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  but the one answer we wanted after Force Awakens I'm not 100% convinced the answer given is correct, it's a bit underwhelming if so.
                  Oh, I rather liked the answer

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Oh, I rather liked the answer
                    Like many of the climatic plot points it just doesn't seem epic enough.

I suppose with it being Disney they're looking to the future rather than giving the older fans more of the past, even if they are remastering famous scenes from that past.

At least they've found a new version of the Garfield car window toy in the form of a Porg. Merchandising is strong with this franchise, apparently you can get a black BB8 even though it was in the movie for all of 30 seconds screen time.

Funny how many of the official reviews seem at odds with the fanbase reaction. Summed up best by one fan who likens the reviews to those of Ferrari or Porsche. Always favourites with the reviewing press, gushing that the latest model is perfect, yet full of flaws when the model after it comes along.

Nothing in the media is independent, less so now that Disney own Murdoch's empire. We need a rebellion.

Comment

8.5/10 on second viewing. Enjoyed it much more this time, though it's about 15 minutes too long.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X