• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Writing a childrens book

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So I've decided for next year I'm going to bring some of my fantastic kids stories to life that I tell my kids by having some illustrated children's books made.

Like all projects, you have to decide what to go for. I have a great imagination and the kids are always asking me for my stories. Princess Stroppy Pants and the Unmade Bed, The Adventures of Timmy the Soap and Rachel Remoaner & Sally Snowflake meet the Prime Minister.

The missus, just happens to be a book designer having worked for a publishing company for years before DS1 decided he was a fruit loop, so that's covered, plus we have three friends in publishing.

So that just leaves an illustrator. I've started looking at Fiverr (https://www.fiverr.com/) and was thinking of getting some samples done. Has anyone done anything similar or used these type of services?
    The cuntractor and the restraining order.

Comment

A Bridgwater too far?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Many years ago, I decided the big money was in the next Fireman Sam / Postman Pat type character.

Lily the Lollipop lady was born.

She has a number of adventures under her belt, but I never got round to doing anything with them.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Many years ago, I decided the big money was in the next Fireman Sam / Postman Pat type character.

She has a number of adventures under her belt, but I never got round to doing anything with them.
          Did she ever meet the old man when he was on the job?

Oh the lollipop man has a great big stick
          And all that he charges is a penny a lick
          And he gets it out whenever he can
          He’s a dirty old devil is the lollipop man

Who is this with his spurty spout?
          A dribbly cone, you can suck it all out
          And a knicker-knocker glory, it’s the ice-cream man
          But he cannot hold a candle to the lollipop man

Who is this with his grimy sack?
          You can have it up the front or he’ll shove it round the back
          With his sooty old nuts it’s the dirty coalman
          But he’ll never hold a candle to the lollipop man

Who is this with his long stiff brush?
          He rams it up the flu with a shove and a push
          And he doesn’t give a toss; he’s the chimney sweep man

And who is this with his floppy mop?
          It’s long and it’s wet with a foam on top
          Well he’s squeaky clean; it’s the window cleaner man

Who is this with a silver top?
          It’s nothing that a little blue-tit can’t pop
          With his manly jugs it’s the creamy milkman
          But he cannot hold a candle to the lollipop man

And who is this with his petticoats gay?
          Powder puff and curly wig and lingerie
          Well it’s old Mollybags, neither woman nor a man
          But she’ll never hold a candle to the lollipop man

Who is this taking down your draws?
          He never ever shoots and he seldom scores
          Well it’s never jackpot with the Littlewoods man
          And he’ll never hold a candle to the lollipop man

Who is this with the long bent fruit?
          He peels back the skin and he slips on his suit
          Well his real name’s Eric, he’s Banana Man
          But he’ll never hold a candle to the lollipop man.

Comment

I know what you mean. I did actually write a childrens book just after I left University. Had some basic illustrations done and it was a great story of a young girl who leaves the UK to go to the US & break into the oil business. I thought it was great, but sadly the publisher rejected my story Debbie does Dallas. I'll never know why.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I know what you mean. I did actually write a childrens book just after I left University. Had some basic illustrations done and it was a great story of a young girl who leaves the UK to go to the US & break into the oil business. I thought it was great, but sadly the publisher rejected my story Debbie does Dallas. I'll never know why.
              I think you should try and claim, seems the only difference in your story compared to the film a friend has seen, is:-
              it was a great story of a young girl who leaves the UK to go to the US & break into the monkey oil business.
              Deffo sounds like you have some kind of intellectual property right claim there buddy
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

It was only marginally more interesting than your first attempt....

Comment

Cojak I am your mother?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So I've decided for next year I'm going to bring some of my fantastic kids stories to life that I tell my kids by having some illustrated children's books made.

Like all projects, you have to decide what to go for. I have a great imagination and the kids are always asking me for my stories. Princess Stroppy Pants and the Unmade Bed, The Adventures of Timmy the Soap and Rachel Remoaner & Sally Snowflake meet the Prime Minister.

The missus, just happens to be a book designer having worked for a publishing company for years before DS1 decided he was a fruit loop, so that's covered, plus we have three friends in publishing.

So that just leaves an illustrator. I've started looking at Fiverr (https://www.fiverr.com/) and was thinking of getting some samples done. Has anyone done anything similar or used these type of services?
                    Reading this more carefully you start to understand why the Jimmy Savile range of kids books didn't take off.

Just sayin'
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Reading this more carefully you start to understand why the Jimmy Savile range of kids books didn't take off.

Just sayin'
                      And MF was ready to to with Gary Glitter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Comment

Working...
                      X