• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dealer Extras when buying a new car...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking from personal experience I'd jib all that off and spend your hard earned on the following:

Tracker
    Immobiliser
    Disklok
    Home security alarm system, inc anti snap bolts.
    Farb gel spray.
    Large fences and stronger side gate.
    Baseball bat

You can thank me when you get your car back via the tracker.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by MSC7 View Post
      So having ordered a new Jaguar F-Pace, I am being offered the following extras....am I right in thinking none of these are worth getting direct from the dealer? GardX sounds like a glorified wax, anyone any experience with this stuff?

Smart Insurance £399
      This will cover the repair cost of any scratches, scuffs and dents within a 30cm diameter on any vertical panel of the car. Cover is provided for 3 years and has a £3,000 total claim limit
      GardX £499
      This will protect the paintwork against sunlight damage, acid rain and other environmental sources which may be harmful to the paintwork it also protects the interior against any spillages on the upholstery. This protection comes with a lifetime ownership guarantee
      Tyre & Alloy Protection £499
      This will cover the cost of 18 alloy wheel refurbishments, 5 tyre replacements due to damage and £150 towards replacing a cracked alloy. Cover is provided for 3 years.
      GAP Insurance £599
      Return to Invoice GAP Insurance will cover you in the event of a total loss insurance claim and will pay the difference between your motor insurance pay-out and the invoice price (purchase price) of the car plus £500 towards your insurance excess. You must take fully comprehensive insurance alongside this and cover is provided for 3 years
      Nice car, shame about the diesel engine (go petrol). The diesel ingenium is dumping diesel into the sump due to the DPF being waaaaaaay back in the exhaust system so isnt completing the regen cycle with sufficient heat to burn off the particulates. Search Honest John for reports (honest, it is a good car web site!)

Yes, all of the above can be got cheaper from alternative sources.
      Last edited by washed up contractor; 14 December 2017, 17:18. Reason: fecking keyboard's 'x' key

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        Speaking from personal experience I'd jib all that off and spend your hard earned on the following:

Tracker
        Immobiliser
        Disklok
        Home security alarm system, inc anti snap bolts.
        Farb gel spray.
        Large fences and stronger side gate.
        Cricket bat

You can thank me when you get your car back via the tracker.

qh
        FTFY

People in England (and probably the rest of the UK) come under less suspicion from the police if they have a cricket bat and a ball/linseed oil in their house.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          My new car already came with all of the extras I needed.

You've lost weight.

Comment

Had the same dilemma after my lottery win earlier this year.

Went for the paint protection in the end and ditched the rest.

8 months, and I haven't kerbed it yet. There is possibly a teeny stone chip on the paintwork, but pretty sure it will cost a hell of a lot less than £600 to fix. Be selective where you park (back of Waitrose carpark is good) to minimise risk.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Had the same dilemma after my lottery win earlier this year.

Went for the paint protection in the end and ditched the rest.

8 months, and I haven't kerbed it yet. There is possibly a teeny stone chip on the paintwork, but pretty sure it will cost a hell of a lot less than £600 to fix. Be selective where you park (back of Waitrose carpark is good) to minimise risk.
              How much did you win?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                How much did you win?
                20K. Spent it three times.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  20K. Spent it three times.
                  My hearty congratulations on all four happy events.

Comment

Dealer Extras when buying a new car...
                    Love the way the paint looks.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MSC7 View Post
                      So having ordered a new Jaguar F-Pace, I am being offered the following extras....am I right in thinking none of these are worth getting direct from the dealer? GardX sounds like a glorified wax, anyone any experience with this stuff?

Smart Insurance £399
                      This will cover the repair cost of any scratches, scuffs and dents within a 30cm diameter on any vertical panel of the car. Cover is provided for 3 years and has a £3,000 total claim limit
                      GardX £499
                      This will protect the paintwork against sunlight damage, acid rain and other environmental sources which may be harmful to the paintwork it also protects the interior against any spillages on the upholstery. This protection comes with a lifetime ownership guarantee
                      Tyre & Alloy Protection £499
                      This will cover the cost of 18 alloy wheel refurbishments, 5 tyre replacements due to damage and £150 towards replacing a cracked alloy. Cover is provided for 3 years.
                      GAP Insurance £599
                      Return to Invoice GAP Insurance will cover you in the event of a total loss insurance claim and will pay the difference between your motor insurance pay-out and the invoice price (purchase price) of the car plus £500 towards your insurance excess. You must take fully comprehensive insurance alongside this and cover is provided for 3 years
                      These are all useful products which you will be able to get much cheaper if you shop around. The GardX isn't needed as paintwork materials are pretty good these days.

Comment

Working...
                      X