Dealer Extras when buying a new car... Dealer Extras when buying a new car... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11

    Super poster

    quackhandle is NOT a disguised employee

    quackhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bag End, The Shire, Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,360

    Default

    Speaking from personal experience I'd jib all that off and spend your hard earned on the following:

    Tracker
    Immobiliser
    Disklok
    Home security alarm system, inc anti snap bolts.
    Farb gel spray.
    Large fences and stronger side gate.
    Baseball bat

    You can thank me when you get your car back via the tracker.

    qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

  2. #12

    Banned

    washed up contractor has more data than eek


    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSC7 View Post
    So having ordered a new Jaguar F-Pace, I am being offered the following extras....am I right in thinking none of these are worth getting direct from the dealer? GardX sounds like a glorified wax, anyone any experience with this stuff?

    Smart Insurance £399
    This will cover the repair cost of any scratches, scuffs and dents within a 30cm diameter on any vertical panel of the car. Cover is provided for 3 years and has a £3,000 total claim limit
    GardX £499
    This will protect the paintwork against sunlight damage, acid rain and other environmental sources which may be harmful to the paintwork it also protects the interior against any spillages on the upholstery. This protection comes with a lifetime ownership guarantee
    Tyre & Alloy Protection £499
    This will cover the cost of 18 alloy wheel refurbishments, 5 tyre replacements due to damage and £150 towards replacing a cracked alloy. Cover is provided for 3 years.
    GAP Insurance £599
    Return to Invoice GAP Insurance will cover you in the event of a total loss insurance claim and will pay the difference between your motor insurance pay-out and the invoice price (purchase price) of the car plus £500 towards your insurance excess. You must take fully comprehensive insurance alongside this and cover is provided for 3 years
    Nice car, shame about the diesel engine (go petrol). The diesel ingenium is dumping diesel into the sump due to the DPF being waaaaaaay back in the exhaust system so isnt completing the regen cycle with sufficient heat to burn off the particulates. Search Honest John for reports (honest, it is a good car web site!)

    Yes, all of the above can be got cheaper from alternative sources.
    Last edited by washed up contractor; 14th December 2017 at 17:18. Reason: fecking keyboard's 'x' key

  3. #13

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    29,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quackhandle View Post
    Speaking from personal experience I'd jib all that off and spend your hard earned on the following:

    Tracker
    Immobiliser
    Disklok
    Home security alarm system, inc anti snap bolts.
    Farb gel spray.
    Large fences and stronger side gate.
    Cricket bat

    You can thank me when you get your car back via the tracker.

    qh
    FTFY

    People in England (and probably the rest of the UK) come under less suspicion from the police if they have a cricket bat and a ball/linseed oil in their house.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  4. #14

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    My new car already came with all of the extras I needed.


    You've lost weight.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  5. #15

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper is always on top

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Null island
    Posts
    26,041

    Default

    Had the same dilemma after my lottery win earlier this year.

    Went for the paint protection in the end and ditched the rest.

    8 months, and I haven't kerbed it yet. There is possibly a teeny stone chip on the paintwork, but pretty sure it will cost a hell of a lot less than £600 to fix. Be selective where you park (back of Waitrose carpark is good) to minimise risk.

  6. #16

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Had the same dilemma after my lottery win earlier this year.

    Went for the paint protection in the end and ditched the rest.

    8 months, and I haven't kerbed it yet. There is possibly a teeny stone chip on the paintwork, but pretty sure it will cost a hell of a lot less than £600 to fix. Be selective where you park (back of Waitrose carpark is good) to minimise risk.
    How much did you win?
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  7. #17

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper is always on top

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Null island
    Posts
    26,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    How much did you win?
    20K. Spent it three times.

  8. #18

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    20K. Spent it three times.
    My hearty congratulations on all four happy events.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  9. #19

    Double Godlike!

    MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,973

    Default

    Dealer Extras when buying a new car...
    Love the way the paint looks.

    The Chunt of Chunts.

  10. #20

    Super poster

    kaiser78 is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSC7 View Post
    So having ordered a new Jaguar F-Pace, I am being offered the following extras....am I right in thinking none of these are worth getting direct from the dealer? GardX sounds like a glorified wax, anyone any experience with this stuff?

    Smart Insurance £399
    This will cover the repair cost of any scratches, scuffs and dents within a 30cm diameter on any vertical panel of the car. Cover is provided for 3 years and has a £3,000 total claim limit
    GardX £499
    This will protect the paintwork against sunlight damage, acid rain and other environmental sources which may be harmful to the paintwork it also protects the interior against any spillages on the upholstery. This protection comes with a lifetime ownership guarantee
    Tyre & Alloy Protection £499
    This will cover the cost of 18 alloy wheel refurbishments, 5 tyre replacements due to damage and £150 towards replacing a cracked alloy. Cover is provided for 3 years.
    GAP Insurance £599
    Return to Invoice GAP Insurance will cover you in the event of a total loss insurance claim and will pay the difference between your motor insurance pay-out and the invoice price (purchase price) of the car plus £500 towards your insurance excess. You must take fully comprehensive insurance alongside this and cover is provided for 3 years
    These are all useful products which you will be able to get much cheaper if you shop around. The GardX isn't needed as paintwork materials are pretty good these days.
    ______________________
    Don't get mad...get even...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •