• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dealer Extras when buying a new car...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Had the same dilemma after my lottery win earlier this year.

Went for the paint protection in the end and ditched the rest.

8 months, and I haven't kerbed it yet. There is possibly a teeny stone chip on the paintwork, but pretty sure it will cost a hell of a lot less than £600 to fix. Be selective where you park (back of Waitrose carpark is good) to minimise risk.
    The Waitrose carparks in my area are always fecking full. Safer to walk or cycle to them or use any other supermarket apart from Aldi.

Oh and I noticed when I injured my leg that even if I parked at the back of the carpark so I could get in and out easily some fecker would park right next to me. On one occasion a lovely older lady had to tell this guy to move his fecking car, as it was obvious the reason why I had parked like that.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      FTFY

People in England (and probably the rest of the UK) come under less suspicion from the police if they have a cricket bat and a ball/linseed oil in their house.
      Flail mace. With a suit of armour, inherited of course.

As for the car. Leave it parked in your garage as jewellery and take the bangernomic jalopy shopping or when using public car parks. I am not the one who worries about car park dings, I'm the one that does them.

As for the insurance, maybe get a proper comprehensive policy where all those other insurances aren't required. I'm sure such a thing exists and it's not just another scam by insurers to sell the same thing as an extra.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        Speaking from personal experience I'd jib all that off and spend your hard earned on the following:

Tracker
        Immobiliser
        Disklok
        Home security alarm system, inc anti snap bolts.
        Farb gel spray.
        Large fences and stronger side gate.
        Baseball bat

You can thank me when you get your car back via the tracker.

qh
        New Jags all have a tracker as standard. Works with your mobile phone and Jaguar themselves have access if you report it stolen.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

FTFY

People in England (and probably the rest of the UK) come under less suspicion from the police if they have a cricket bat and a ball/linseed oil in their house.
          I have a baseball mitt and balls and go to local park with the dog and it hit a few pop ups for the him to run after. I love baseball me. Go Red Sox!

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Cheers all! Very good advice. Managed to get them to reduce the price of the gardX to £399 and Tyre/Alloy to £387 (18 repairs = £21.50 per alloy which I don't think is bad value). Will mull it over but may go for both of these.

Comment

I presume you're buying new rather than leasing?

If leasing then only the gap insurance may be worth the cost as apparently you'd be left paying the shortfall if it was nicked or written off. Check the fair wear and tear clauses in the contract before deciding to protect their asset, they usually allow a few dings and minor scuffs, unlike the old days where they fleeced you if their 3 year old car wasn't in showroom condition. Otherwise, may be cheaper to skip those cosmetic insurances and bring up to scratch before handing back, for a one off fee if necessary.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                I have a baseball mitt and balls and go to local park with the dog and it hit a few pop ups for the him to run after. I love baseball me. Go Red Sox!

qh
                If someone burgled you and you whacked them with a baseball bat you would be OK as other dog walkers would be able to vouch for you, however 95%* of other baseball bat owners wouldn't have such an excuse, and be arrested for having or using an offensive weapon.

*Made up statistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  Flail mace. With a suit of armour, inherited of course.

As for the car. Leave it parked in your garage as jewellery and take the bangernomic jalopy shopping or when using public car parks. I am not the one who worries about car park dings, I'm the one that does them.

As for the insurance, maybe get a proper comprehensive policy where all those other insurances aren't required. I'm sure such a thing exists and it's not just another scam by insurers to sell the same thing as an extra.
                  Gap insurance covers you until the insurance equals the value of the car you lost.

Most comprehensive policies cover you properly for 12 months for a new vehicle but if in month 13 your car is written off then you will have to fight with the insurers to get the true value of the car out of them.

In regards to minor dings - you are an idiot if you claim on your insurance for that. Unless you like your policy price going up.

Comment

In regards to minor dings - you are an idiot if you claim on your insurance for that. Unless you like your policy price going up.
                    Some may cover cost of chips away type solution like they do with chipped windscreen repair, with no impact on renewal price.

Never bothered getting dings or even scratches fixed mid ownership. Once did trade in a car and checked how much the value was affected by a scratch to decide whether to get it repaired myself, figuring the dealer could fix it at trade cost or in house cheaper than I would be able to.

I tend not to have new or nearly new cars, where I'm precious about their condition. They're tools rather than bling to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      20K. Spent it three times.
                      @Brillo - why the neg rep for this post? What has offended you?

Comment

Working...
                      X