• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

After 1 year of going perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since you are the only guy who has any say on tech side, why not use the project to learn and use some new cool tech. That way you wont feel like you are wasting your expertise but creating new expertise for next role.

Comment

You contractors who can’t seemlessly move from one side to the other make me laugh.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I'd prefer Brillo shares his reasoning.
        I suspect asking in him public is really (not) likely to get you a response.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I suspect asking in him public is really (not) likely to get you a response.
          Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I'll be brief. I hate it.

Good salary, good pension.

I hate it. I am now at the point where I have to drag myself to work. I am so unhappy.

The root cause of my unhappiness is this millennial "manager", who has somehow slimed his way into a directorship, and has PMs and BAs working for him. Except that I work in his baby project, so he is the BA and the PM.

He is always too busy to attend meetings or manage.

I have tried since I started last September to get the SDLC under control. It's more like a late 90s sweatshop. No processes, bugs listed in a spreadsheet, verbal requirements etc etc.

We just went live this morning, with a release where no instruction was given to the UAT team, everyone had a different understanding of the requirements, and no one was sure if it actually worked or not.

The Go/No go meeting was a farce, and only a selection of remaining bugs were presented to the stakeholders. I emailed my "boss" after highlighting the one's he missed (cover your a**).

One senior stakeholder invited my boss's boss to the meeting. He was so lax, and backed my boss to the hilt after several serious failings were pointed out. "We just don't have the resource to manage this project".

It's a chaotic bun fight every release, and the UAT is non existent, yet the onus is on me as a developer to put this tulipe live regardless.

It is now a choice between the salary, pension vs my happiness / sanity.

I've offered to step up and help with the business analysis / project coordination. My call is my boss doesn't want to be shown up, so he always pisses on that bonfire.

I've brought a lot of technical changes to the project, like actually using version control, continuous integration etc, but just feel like I'm pouring my experience into a dead horse that is being flogged and it's time to do one and find a company that would appreciate me.
            What possessed you to go perm? I'm struggling to motivate myself to accept a contract offer that comes my way, let alone the idea of going Perm. Madness, what did you expect?

Comment

Couldnt give a toss, I've now retired! Yippee! Smokin'

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                Couldnt give a toss, I've now retired! Yippee! Smokin'
                Sounds like fun...... having all that time to get bored out of your brains. Nice

Comment

One year in, I imagine your appraisal will be soon. Your slimy boss will talk in detail about how your performance can be improved; he'll probably suggest training as part of the development review; he'll attempt to motivate you to even higher levels of attainment. And all the time you'll be picturing how much fun it would be to rip his throat out.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Welcome back
                    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    WHS +1
                    WTS <- manly

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      You contractors who can’t seemlessly move from one side to the other make me laugh.
                      Weaving drunkenly isn’t everything

Comment

Working...
                      X