After 1 year of going perm After 1 year of going perm
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 37

Potty-trained

suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

Default After 1 year of going perm

I'll be brief. I hate it.

Good salary, good pension.

I hate it. I am now at the point where I have to drag myself to work. I am so unhappy.

The root cause of my unhappiness is this millennial "manager", who has somehow slimed his way into a directorship, and has PMs and BAs working for him. Except that I work in his baby project, so he is the BA and the PM.

He is always too busy to attend meetings or manage.

I have tried since I started last September to get the SDLC under control. It's more like a late 90s sweatshop. No processes, bugs listed in a spreadsheet, verbal requirements etc etc.

We just went live this morning, with a release where no instruction was given to the UAT team, everyone had a different understanding of the requirements, and no one was sure if it actually worked or not.

The Go/No go meeting was a farce, and only a selection of remaining bugs were presented to the stakeholders. I emailed my "boss" after highlighting the one's he missed (cover your a**).

One senior stakeholder invited my boss's boss to the meeting. He was so lax, and backed my boss to the hilt after several serious failings were pointed out. "We just don't have the resource to manage this project".

It's a chaotic bun fight every release, and the UAT is non existent, yet the onus is on me as a developer to put this tulipe live regardless.

It is now a choice between the salary, pension vs my happiness / sanity.

I've offered to step up and help with the business analysis / project coordination. My call is my boss doesn't want to be shown up, so he always pisses on that bonfire.

I've brought a lot of technical changes to the project, like actually using version control, continuous integration etc, but just feel like I'm pouring my experience into a dead horse that is being flogged and it's time to do one and find a company that would appreciate me.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post

Good salary, good pension.

I hate it. I am now at the point where I have to drag myself to work. I am so unhappy.

The root cause of my unhappiness is this millennial "manager", who has somehow slimed his way into a directorship, and has PMs and BAs working for him. Except that I work in his baby project, so he is the BA and the PM.

He is always too busy to attend meetings or manage.

I have tried since I started last September to get the SDLC under control. It's more like a late 90s sweatshop. No processes, bugs listed in a spreadsheet, verbal requirements etc etc.

We just went live this morning, with a release where no instruction was given to the UAT team, everyone had a different understanding of the requirements, and no one was sure if it actually worked or not.

The Go/No go meeting was a farce, and only a selection of remaining bugs were presented to the stakeholders. I emailed my "boss" after highlighting the one's he missed (cover your a**).

One senior stakeholder invited my boss's boss to the meeting. He was so lax, and backed my boss to the hilt after several serious failings were pointed out. "We just don't have the resource to manage this project".

It's a chaotic bun fight every release, and the UAT is non existent, yet the onus is on me as a developer to put this tulipe live regardless.

It is now a choice between the salary, pension vs my happiness / sanity.

I've offered to step up and help with the business analysis / project coordination. My call is my boss doesn't want to be shown up, so he always pisses on that bonfire.

I've brought a lot of technical changes to the project, like actually using version control, continuous integration etc, but just feel like I'm pouring my experience into a dead horse that is being flogged and it's time to do one and find a company that would appreciate me.
    Welcome back
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

TPAFKAk2p2

mudskipper is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Welcome back
    WHS +1

More fingers than teeth

greenlake has reached the peak. Play again?

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

I'll be brief.
    You weren’t!

TL;DR

Either you will pull the project off its arse and turn it into something passable, he will take the credit and get another promotion off the back (which is how I assume he got where he is) or it will go tits up and he has excuses lined up already, he tried his best and will survive based on the good will obtained from past projects.

Welcome to permie politics baby, alas you won’t get much sympathy on here as we mainly contract for three things.

The money
    The pussy (although only those who work with NLYUK or Mary Poppins)
    And the desire to not get involved I’m permie politics
    Last edited by SimonMac; 16th December 2017 at 22:13.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

More time posting than coding

SeanT is a permanent contractor

Lol. Director to permie gag that's been floating around on the interwebs. "See this <insert desirable car>. If you work really hard, I get to replace it with a brand new one in two years."...

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Lol. Director to permie gag that's been floating around on the interwebs. "See this <insert desirable car>. If you work really hard, I get to replace it with a brand new one in two years."...
    Reminds me of this....

Godlike

Fred Bloggs is NOT a disguised employee

Seriously, good luck with that one. I honestly cannot think of even one company that meets that requirement.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

More fingers than teeth

After 1 year of going perm

Double Godlike!

MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge

it's time to do one and find a company that would appreciate me.
    Good luck

The Chunt of Chunts.