• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bitcoin - you might do well to read this

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    2018: The Year Central Banks Begin Buying Cryptocurrency | Zero Hedge

It's too big and widely adopted to ban/overregulate - it's too late, like 'fake news' on the Internet they cannot contain it.

I'm expecting heavy taxation and harsh laws against anonymity. They will try and control it by owning enough of it to manipulate the price - which will/is taking place now.

Moon!
    I think any efforts to try to control it's price will fall flat on it's arse. People talk about 'greater fools' - the last investors before the bubble bursts. It may well be the banks that are the greatest of fools.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Bitcoin seems to be plateauing at the moment. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. At least Gold can be made into jewelry.
      Movement spread of ~1600 points (~18000-19600) since this morning......is that your definition of a plateau?

Seriously, "it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Do we need a sub forum for Crypto as well?

Somewhere for all the clever people who don't understand it to make themselves feel better about sitting on the sidelines watching it go up while they think it's too late to get in.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
          ... It may well be the banks that are the greatest of fools.
          Pension companies?

Due to the speculative nature of the recent upsurge, that shows no end and hence no one can be sure what will happen in the coming days let alone weeks or months, hopefully it's too risky for institutional investors to dare play with fire.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Pension companies?

Due to the speculative nature of the recent upsurge, that shows no end and hence no one can be sure what will happen in the coming days let alone weeks or months, hopefully it's too risky for institutional investors to dare play with fire.

Yeah - because they never do anything like that..
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Jogger,

have a read of the comments to that article

Milan.

p.s. are the Central Banks going to buy them on Ebay too ?

Comment

You can short it on traditional spreadbetting/CFD platforms, my broker (GKFX) has BTC and ETH available to trade like FX pairs.

Happy margin call.
                Indeed. High spreads, leverage and unimaginable volatility makes such endeavour a certainty within hours or days...
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Do we need a sub forum for Crypto as well?

Somewhere for all the clever people who don't understand it to make themselves feel better about sitting on the sidelines watching it go up while they think it's too late to get in.
                  There seem to be lots of reasons to be wary at the moment:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitco...nance-minister
                  https://cointelegraph.com/news/south...an-local-press
                  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1EC19N

I can see next year the outcome will be some global bitcoin regulations, no anonymity on the bitcoin blockchain, exchanges having to pass on all customer details to tax enforcement every year, having to prove where any fiat money has come from before allowing purchases. The USA giving people 40 years in prison for not filling in the 50 page form on every transaction.

They will crawl all over crypto like a swarm of angry feds..they want this thing dead and buried.
                  Last edited by _V_; 18 December 2017, 18:33.
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Hodl on for dear life, will bitcoin get to the moon before the clampdown ends it.

Trumps going to build a wall around it. Nothing is getting to the moon before he does.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X