• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Risky Boom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck! I’m likely to turn down an extension next month, so need to get looking

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      I have indeed!
      D'oh! Have you checked that your contract didn't enforce a notice period or if it does it's not only 1 week?

No need to give notice until new contract in hand if you have a short enough notice. Worse case you are 'sick' for a week or two if new client requires you asap. Besides over crimbo it's quiet anyway so can be 'on holiday'.

Don't worry about the ethics, dodgy agents do worse all the time.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        D'oh! Have you checked that your contract didn't enforce a notice period or if it does it's not only 1 week?

No need to give notice until new contract in hand if you have a short enough notice. Worse case you are 'sick' for a week or two if new client requires you asap. Besides over crimbo it's quiet anyway so can be 'on holiday'.

Hobo grief approaching lol!

Got to look out for number one. BUT bear in mind if you do the sickie thing you'll probably burn you're bridges for ever going back to that client.

I've got an issue with clients who whinge and cry like babies if a contractor gives notice as allowed by contract. If you really don't want contractor giving notice don't allow it in contract at the beginning - simples! Don't moan when a clause gets invoked that you agreed to.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

My notice was a week, but I've given them three to allow plenty of handover. This approach has gained me warm praise from both parties so I think it's good to worry about ethics. Maybe that's why I still get calls from nearly all of my old customers

Comment

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Not as risky as being paid in Bitcoin.

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                My notice was a week, but, as I'm a consummate business professional, I've given them three to allow plenty of handover.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Good luck!!

Comment

Wish you loads of luck...

Comment

I'm with the others here wishing you luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X