• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Risky Boom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Risky Boom

Never ever left a contract before - don't really agree with it on a day to day basis and there's the obvious risk the new contract doesn't come off.

Buuut - had an interview on Friday. Face to Face with what appears to be a really cool company, good tech / CV fodder and 40 mins door to door in the car, encouraged home working and with the very serious prospect of a decent permie role down the line if I want it. Given the current climate, the fact that I haven't had a <1hr commute in 6 years (And most of that was straight up working away from home) just made it too good to turn down! Especially having worked away from 10 months now....

As I say, normally I'd always wait until the end because there's always a contract somewhere - but I don't think I've ever seen a serious role (I.e., one that I want) close to home.

So, wish me luck that it comes off and I don't end up with nothing

Some of you know my previous permie venture didn't really hit the mark, so I'll be treading cautiously there
    Last edited by vwdan; 18 December 2017, 11:09.

Under those circumstances good decision. When you look at the difference between permie and contracting these days I find a local permie job is better than a remote contract.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Never ever left a contract before - don't really agree with it on a day to day basis and there's the obvious risk the new contract doesn't come off.

Buuut - had an interview on Friday. Face to Face with what appears to be a really cool company, good tech / CV fodder and 40 mins door to door in the car, encouraged home working and with the very serious prospect of a decent permie role down the line if I want it. Given the current climate, the fact that I haven't had a <1hr commute in 6 years (And most of that was straight up working away from home) just made it too good to turn down! Especially having worked away from 10 months now....

As I say, normally I'd always wait until the end because there's always a contract somewhere - but I don't think I've ever seen a serious role (I.e., one that I want) close to home.

Some of you know my previous permie venture didn't really hit the mark, so I'll be treading cautiously there
      Forget your life story.... what's the totty like?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Best of luck!

Comment

I've seen the video.

Comment

So you gave notice on current gig?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              So you gave notice on current gig?
              I have indeed!

Comment

You got a signed contract yet?

Comment

Good luck....

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                    You got a signed contract yet?
                    Nope - I'm taking a leap of faith based on some tight timescales and "gut feel". Let's face it, a signed contract means **** all anyway - and, warchest wise, if I end up having a break I'll take a break. Only had another couple of months to run anyway, and I wasn't planning on extending even if they offered.

That said, I think if it did go wrong I could probably continue here but won't be counting on that.

Comment

Working...
                    X