• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beware of BitCoin scammers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware of BitCoin scammers

wow it has become the klondyke

just out of curiosity, a quick search on ebay for bitcoin direct to your wallet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...allet&_sacat=0

and the cheeky monkeys are selling BitCoin for up to 7 x the market price !

I'd like to see how many people are selling bullion on ebay for 7 x the market price

there's an example, 0.001BTC for 99.99GBP

right now the price of 1 BTC is 14350GBP

so 0.001 x 14350 gets 14.35GBP of BTC for a price of 99.99GBP

another funny one on ebay, sellers are offering mining contracts, have a read for yourself and see what smoke and mirrors game that is

this isn't very good

Milan.

p.s. to Lance and the other children, this isn't being anti-bitcoin, this is called research

Yeah, loads of scams around. You'd be stupid to buy on ebay. Use localbitcoins if you want to buy peer 2 peer.

Bu best to just stick to the well known exchanges.

Comment

There are always scammers out there.

Usually I meet them as agents. Or scheme promoters.

I believe one scammer is moving into the cyber security recruitment area.....

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        wow it has become the klondyke

just out of curiosity, a quick search on ebay for bitcoin direct to your wallet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...allet&_sacat=0

and the cheeky monkeys are selling BitCoin for up to 7 x the market price !

I'd like to see how many people are selling bullion on ebay for 7 x the market price

there's an example, 0.001BTC for 99.99GBP

right now the price of 1 BTC is 14350GBP

so 0.001 x 14350 gets 14.35GBP of BTC for a price of 99.99GBP

another funny one on ebay, sellers are offering mining contracts, have a read for yourself and see what smoke and mirrors game that is

this isn't very good

Milan.

p.s. to Lance and the other children, this isn't being anti-bitcoin, this is called research
        People were selling pictures of games consoles (scamming people out of £100s) a while back on ebay, so - Caveat Emptor

As has always been the case.......

why anybody would use ebay for anything cryptocurrency-related though I have no idea.
        (wouldn't trust any wallets not be rootkitted or keylogged, etc.)

anyway - where's this 'research' you spoke about?
        (Sellers selling something which is of limited quantity, above the current RRP is nothing new on ebay)
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
          People were selling pictures of games consoles (scamming people out of £100s) a while back on ebay, so - Caveat Emptor

why anybody would use ebay for anything cryptocurrency-related though I have no idea.

(Sellers selling something which is of limited quantity, above the current RRP is nothing new on ebay)
          Judge Judy had a case where scammer sold a picture of a phone for $300. She awarded $5000 against the scammer.

It would have been better if ebay(or whoever) had done that.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post

the research is showing how immature the whole subject is when people are blatantly charging 700% margin above market price on the purchase of what some argue is a financial instrument

bullion on the other hand as a mature financial instrument, rarely gets adverts with anything more than a 10% margin above market price and that's on ebay, and through dealers the general margin is 3 to 5 %

that's the research, the thing is in scam territory

Milan.

Comment

the research is showing how immature the whole subject is when people are blatantly charging 700% margin above market price on the purchase of what some argue is a financial instrument

bullion on the other hand as a mature financial instrument, rarely gets adverts with anything more than a 10% margin above market price and that's on ebay, and through dealers the general margin is 3 to 5 %

Milan.
              Well even you easily worked out, the true cost of the item being offered and decided against purchasing it.

So who is going to get scammed by those ebay adverts? Someone who can't do simple multiplication?

It's almost as if people just choose not to buy any gold marked up more than 10%, that's amazing - it's almost as if purchases are voluntary
              Originally posted by Old Greg
              I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
              ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Milan.
                Remember people putting new £5 notes on ebay with a serial number starting with 1? They were listed for far more than 7x the face value.

By your logic the £5 note is also in scam territory.

People chance it on eBay all the time. Just like the £5 notes I'd be interested in knowing how many of these are actually sold.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                  Remember people putting new £5 notes on ebay with a serial number starting with 1? They were listed for far more than 7x the face value.

By your logic the £5 note is also in scam territory.

People chance it on eBay all the time. Just like the £5 notes I'd be interested in knowing how many of these are actually sold.

ummm no

how can I make this simple

those people interested in the fivers are actually numismatists, these are people who collect currency for collectable value and not for face currency value

it's the same in gold, there are gold coins which are rare and people collect them for their collectable value and not for their gold content value

and on ebay, the gold coins the bullion coins are rarely advertised for anything more that 10% over market price of their gold content value

but your bitcoins are going for 700% over market of the face value

and that's not because the bitcoins have a collectable value

nip to Starbucks, get yourself a latte machioto frappe whatever and have a think about it

Milan.

Comment

ummm no

how can I make this simple

those people interested in the fivers are actually numismatists, these are people who collect currency for collectable value and not for face currency value
                    ummm no.

How can I make this simple.

The vast majority of people who put the new £5 notes on ebay were chancers. Only a few AA serial numbers where worth anything as a collectable. But there were actually loads of AA serial number notes out there.

So people put them up for an inflated price in the hope of making a quick and easy buck. My suspicion is that no one actually bought any, except perhaps for a few idiots.

Comment

Working...
                    X