• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xmas Dinner - What you all having?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    watching this? - very popular round your way

Only shown on New Years Eve...Actually very popular in many other countries too

Dinner for One, also known as The 90th Birthday, is a two-hander comedy sketch written by British author Lauri Wylie for the theatre. German television station Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR) recorded a performance of the piece in 1963, in its original English language, with a short introduction in German. It is a 18-minute single-take black-and-white recording featuring British comedians Freddie Frinton and May Warden. This comedy sketch went on to become the most frequently repeated TV programme ever.

The program has become an integral component of the New Year's Eve schedule of several German television stations. Versions of the sketch are also shown by Swedish channels at New Years Eve every year since 1980. Danish television has been broadcasting the sketch on New Year's Eve since 1976. It is a December 23 staple on Norwegian national television, and a cult television classic in Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, the Faroe Islands and Austria; on New Year's Eve 2003 alone, the sketch was broadcast 19 times (on various channels). As of 2005, the sketch had been repeated more than 230 times. It is known in other countries as well, including Switzerland, Luxembourg and South Africa. It has been broadcast on New Year's Eve in Australia on the Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) station nationally since 1989. Despite such widespread fame, the program remains virtually unknown in the UK.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      The house was mine in the first place!
      so share it with your ex beloved like the rest of us
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        so share it with your ex beloved like the rest of us
        I guess that would depend on how many exes you're talking about....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
          I guess that would depend on how many exes you're talking about....
          how does Brillo cycle in a thawb?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            how does Brillo cycle in a thawb?
            Most excellently....

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              watching this? - very popular round your way

One of my colleagues plans to be on his 3rd bottle of wine before that comes on TV. The locals were quite surprised to find that the sketch is largely unknown in the UK. My daughter wrote a version - the twist is that the butler has multiple personality disorder and is a serial killer, and the "one" is the latest victim.

I really don't know where she gets it from.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
              X