• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What right do I have as a contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Stuart needs to get a better understanding of what he is and does me thinks.
    Maybe he should ask his accountant for some clarification? Maybe he could help? Although sounds more like OP's going to be under a brolly and inside anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by wosikas View Post
      Hi guys,

I have sucked it up, so to speak and moved on. This post is not about "poor old me ..." I have been a contractor for 10 years.

The point is that I did agree to the contract extension in writing. Notice period does not come into this, I am working up the end of my contract which ends next week. I have looked into the contract law aspect and I have to admit it is very vague in this area. There must be something around getting a formal agreement and reneging on it. This company is a global billion pound org. The key point is that we "contractors" deserve respect. I turned down a couple of opportunitie between 22nd Oct and end of Nov when they changed their mind. I had agreed a transition plan with my manager which took us to April next year. The fact I had to do a handover in 5 weeks left me limited time to look for new work. These are the key points. At the end of the day, managers cannot get away with this type of behaviour regardless if you are a contractor or not.

Regards.

Stuart.
      Ok so you go down the legal route for breaking a contract. What expense or loss have you incurred? You can't sue for potential earnings lost - imagine that. You could get your mate to say yeah I was going to give him a ten year contract on 10k a day.

So what expense have you incurred by accepting this contract which was later broken?

Comment

Originally posted by wosikas View Post
        Hi guys,

I have sucked it up, so to speak and moved on. This post is not about "poor old me ..." I have been a contractor for 10 years.

The point is that I did agree to the contract extension in writing. Notice period does not come into this, I am working up the end of my contract which ends next week. I have looked into the contract law aspect and I have to admit it is very vague in this area. There must be something around getting a formal agreement and reneging on it. This company is a global billion pound org. The key point is that we "contractors" deserve respect. I turned down a couple of opportunitie between 22nd Oct and end of Nov when they changed their mind. I had agreed a transition plan with my manager which took us to April next year. The fact I had to do a handover in 5 weeks left me limited time to look for new work. These are the key points. At the end of the day, managers cannot get away with this type of behaviour regardless if you are a contractor or not.

Regards.

Stuart.
        You have to have a specific clause in your contract, and it should clearly outline how much the client pays in the event of cancellation. In the company I used to work in, a clause might or might not be included depending on the client and whether it was a long term relationship. Every contract was different and reflected the negotiation with the client.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

To be fair, we should maybe have clauses in our contracts that entitle us to be paid a percentage of the forecasted amount if the client ends the contract early.

I suppose we do just that the percentage is zero.

Sven got paid millions after his England contract ended.

Probably easier to achieve if you offer a rare skill that the client is desperate for, and is willing to cover the financial outlay to secure the contractor should their plans change.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            To be fair, we should maybe have clauses in our contracts that entitle us to be paid a percentage of the forecasted amount if the client ends the contract early.

I suppose we do just that the percentage is zero.

Sven got paid millions after his England contract ended.

Probably easier to achieve if you offer a rare skill that the client is desperate for, and is willing to cover the financial outlay to secure the contractor should their plans change.
            That would result in losing one of the major advantages of a company using a contractor. Now if they terminate the contract early they have to pay a penalty?
            Last edited by woohoo; 21 December 2017, 15:48.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              That would result in losing one of the major advantages of a company using a contractor. Now if they terminate the contract early they have to pay a penalty?
              I think there's a move into dodgy ground and fabricated reasons for having contractors marched off site.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                That would result in one of the major advantages of a company using a contractor. Now if they terminate the contract early they have to pay a penalty?
                If their plans project a contractor resource is required for a specific timeframe then yes ideally they should pay some compo for their poor planning.

Like I said, it would only be entertained if the contractor had something the client was desperate for, such as projecting that a 6 months contract even if paid in full despite being cut short would still cost less than using one of the consultancies for the shorter timeframe. Though that would require clients to look at the bigger picture.

All ideal world stuff that sadly is unlikely to ever apply to common or garden contractors.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  I think there's a move into dodgy ground and fabricated reasons for having contractors marched off site.
                  Depends if the cost financially was worth the possible cost reputationally for the client.

After all projects are supposedly resourced up front so the cost is swallowed at the start, so not like it's an unexpected cost if the project finishes early yet they have to pay full term for the temporary resource.

If only we had a contractor body/union to stand up for our rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    If their plans project a contractor resource is required for a specific timeframe then yes ideally they should pay some compo for their poor planning.

Like I said, it would only be entertained if the contractor had something the client was desperate for, such as projecting that a 6 months contract even if paid in full despite being cut short would still cost less than using one of the consultancies for the shorter timeframe. Though that would require clients to look at the bigger picture.

All ideal world stuff that sadly is unlikely to ever apply to common or garden contractors.
                    The clients hold the money, so they make the rules. It's simply a fight between us and the parasites agents as to how much we can get of it.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      The clients hold the money, so they make the rules. It's simply a fight between us and the parasites agents as to how much we can get of it.
                      Where's Harry Hill when we need him. He knows how to settle these disputes.

Comment

Working...
                      X