• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply from MP about IR35 Reforms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatboyslim View Post
    Nah, I think I broadly understand where HMRC is coming from and why contractors are worried. The forum posts merely reflect one side of the story, its like asking turkey's view of chrismas, should be taken onboard but that does not get to decide everything.
    No you clearly don't as 2 other posters have pointed out.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      No you clearly don't as 2 other posters have pointed out.
      I have not heard any substantive arguments (other than small businesses being unnecessarily burdened which I concede). So am not going to change my mind.

I usually ignore these kind of arguments, even if some might consider them 'robust' argument.

1. Unnecessary personal remark: You are stupid, your mom should have aborted you coz she is a whore.
      2. Vague pointing towards documents: Go read xyz and comeback to argue with me.
      3. Argument from authority: I know this sh*t kiddo , I have been doing it longer than you have been on this earth.. bla bla.

It does not matter whether these are true statements or not, just that they have no bearing on what we are discussing, even if I am wrong, it still does not change anything.

Conversely it does not matter who makes the substantial point, or there is spelling mistake or it was put clumsily, I am happy to concede if I can understand it, and it makes logical sense to me.

This reminds me to read up on logical fallacies again, I sometimes resort to it without knowing.
      Last edited by fatboyslim; 26 December 2017, 20:52.

Comment

I have not heard any substantive arguments (other than small businesses being unnecessarily burdened which I concede). So am not going to change my mind.

I usually ignore these kind of arguments, even if some might consider them 'robust' argument.

1. Unnecessary personal remark: You are stupid, your mom should have aborted you coz she is a whore.
        3. Argument from authority: I know this sh*t kiddo , I have been doing it longer than you have been on this earth.. bla bla.

It does not matter whether these are true statements or not, just that they have no bearing on what we are discussing, even if I am wrong, it still does not change anything.

Conversely it does not matter who makes the substantial point, or there is spelling mistake or it was put clumsily, I am happy to concede if I can understand it, and it makes logical sense to me.

This reminds me to read up on logical fallacies again, I sometimes resort to it without knowing.
        QED...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The problem here is the Brandolini principle.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            QED...

Comment

FFS
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
              X