• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anybody claimed laptop as business expense

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatboyslim View Post
    Should have mentioned in original question, who here uses his/her own laptop on client site? My last client was pretty insistent on using their laptop due to 'security' issue.
    Bring your own device (BYOD) is pretty rare I expect, for security reasons as you say, and also the absolute pain in the ass that supporting a multitude of random devices must bring. So while client may save on not having to stump up for the devices to provide their employees, they then have to stump up the additional support costs.

May be something worth asking at interview stage though, in case you find a client that is 'cutting edge', though that is often also 'bleeding edge' as in "this bleeding thing won't work".

As for laptop purchase. I've done it in the past, bought personally and charged as expense to my Ltd, then marked down as asset over a few years so I am then free to 'dispose' of it as I wish. As others mention, this is nothing new and rules may have changed since I last went down that path, so research via info on this site and other's recent experiences, and ultimately advice from your accountant.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Bring your own device (BYOD) is pretty rare I expect, for security reasons as you say, and also the absolute pain in the ass that supporting a multitude of random devices must bring. So while client may save on not having to stump up for the devices to provide their employees, they then have to stump up the additional support costs.

May be something worth asking at interview stage though, in case you find a client that is 'cutting edge', though that is often also 'bleeding edge' as in "this bleeding thing won't work".

As for laptop purchase. I've done it in the past, bought personally and charged as expense to my Ltd, then marked down as asset over a few years so I am then free to 'dispose' of it as I wish. As others mention, this is nothing new and rules may have changed since I last went down that path, so research via info on this site and other's recent experiences, and ultimately advice from your accountant.
      well, my current personal laptop is rather old and heavy, I don't want to carry it to client site, which is why I want a new lighter one. If most client don't allow then it loses its main utility.
      I don't expect them to support my device anyway.

Comment

well, my current personal laptop is rather old and heavy, I don't want to carry it to client site, which is why I want a new lighter one. If most client don't allow then it loses its main utility.
        Who is your accountant?

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

buying a laptop because your "personal laptop" is old and heavy hardly makes it necessary for business does it?

You're thinking about this all wrong anyway.... Do you need a computer to run your business? (HINT: how do you generate invoices?)
          If the answer is yes, and the business doesn't own one then the business can justify buying one. If it happens to be more lightweight, sexy and powerful than necessary, that's an argument between you and your shareholders.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            buying a laptop because your "personal laptop" is old and heavy hardly makes it necessary for business does it?

You're thinking about this all wrong anyway.... Do you need a computer to run your business? (HINT: how do you generate invoices?)
            If the answer is yes, and the business doesn't own one then the business can justify buying one. If it happens to be more lightweight, sexy and powerful than necessary, that's an argument between you and your shareholders.
            Yes, I would prefer not to use client's laptop. My current personal laptop is a bad alternative.

Comment

Yes, I would prefer not to use client's laptop. My current personal laptop is a bad alternative.
              your preference on a client supplied laptop has got sweet FA to do with your business needs.

I've already given you the answer you want (yes go and buy a business laptop if you need it for business) but you still fail to grasp what business use is (it's not a personal laptop cos you don't like the client's).

Think about your business. What does it need? Forget what you like/want/desire/fornicate over.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                your preference on a client supplied laptop has got sweet FA to do with your business needs.

I've already given you the answer you want (yes go and buy a business laptop if you need it for business) but you still fail to grasp what business use is (it's not a personal laptop cos you don't like the client's).

Think about your business. What does it need? Forget what you like/want/desire/fornicate over.
                hmm.. have not decided whether it will be 100 percent business or mainly business with some personal use. I can always keep using my current laptop for personal use.
                anyway thanks for your input. Cheers

Comment

Using your personal laptop puts you clearly inside IR35 as you well know*. It's also a flag that this thread is being closed.

*No it doesn't, but the OP has a bit of history.

** Moved to General as I would prefer that genuine posters don't take this thread as a good one.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                  X