• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's hard enough trying to buy something from one of those tills.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the portable scanner thing in tescos near me. Randomly you do seem to get selected for a check. What they do then is come over and randomly scan about 5/6 items to make sure they've been scanned. If you do happen to have missed one then nothing happens.

I just always assumed they must know that stuff gets nicked/forgotten about but they've still worked it out, even with the loss, that its more cost effective for them.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Yep, theft losses offset by savings in lower wage cost.

If Tesco et al want to compete with the budget stores (Aldi, Lidl), they just need to offer random supermarket sweeps, where every hour or so a lucky shopper gets a free pass at the till, nothing to pay.

They can limit their losses by only including those that have self scanned up to a target threshold, say £100.

Punters would pile in, they can't resist the chance of a freebie.

This marketing bollox is so easy.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        Yep, theft losses offset by savings in lower wage cost.

If Tesco et al want to compete with the budget stores (Aldi, Lidl), they just need to offer random supermarket sweeps, where every hour or so a lucky shopper gets a free pass at the till, nothing to pay.

They can limit their losses by only including those that have self scanned up to a target threshold, say £100.

Punters would pile in, they can't resist the chance of a freebie.

This marketing bollox is so easy.

needs more kittens!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

They were introducing these when I was in second year of uni, I remember having a mate who once ate for free all term time by ringing up everything as loose onions

Comment

Noticed in t'Asda other day that there was video cam recording each shopper at the self service tills.

I pulled a face. Yes I am that childish.

Flicking V's next time.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by reddog View Post
              a none starter in Britain due to "shrinkage"
              Funny, because my local Waitrose does this.

Are the Swiss all such obedient robots? They must be great fun to hang out with.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                They were introducing these when I was in second year of uni, I remember having a mate who once ate for free all term time by ringing up everything as loose onions

I bet the store manager still has nightmares of when the trucks of onions kept turning up due to the centralised stock re-ordering system saying they were running low all the time.

Though in this day I don't see why they need to manually scan anything. Just have all the packages RFIDed up and everything is scanned automatically as they approach the checkout for payment. No more loose onions though, got to be bagged and RFID tagged.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

I bet the store manager still has nightmares of when the trucks of onions kept turning up due to the centralised stock re-ordering system saying they were running low all the time.

Though in this day I don't see why they need to manually scan anything. Just have all the packages RFIDed up and everything is scanned automatically as they approach the checkout for payment. No more loose onions though, got to be bagged and RFID tagged.
                  passive are getting there on price

https://www.rfidjournal.com/faq/show?85

the range is possible

What Is the Read Range of a Passive RFID Tag? — Ask The Experts Forum - RFID Journal

now just work out how to isolate & only read a single trolley in store.

Of course buying a metal box e.g. oven tray and putting the expensive items in there would be the first exploit.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X