• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector inside IR35 - and HMRC says its not affecting anything!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public sector inside IR35 - and HMRC says its not affecting anything!

Generally happy in my role - got 35% rate increase because it was InsideIR35 so all things are equal.

Got contacted by an agency today with a role - £250 a day but Inside IR35. By my reckoning, that pretty much takes it down to equivalent of about £180 a day outside.

Are these clients mad? £250 a day InsideIR35, pretty much works out to approx £60K per year. Of course, take off employers NI etc and we're down into the low 50s so prob £20K more than a permie and no sick pay, holiday pay, pension etc.

Can see them having trouble with this one.... Especially since the skillset needed was massive and they wanted SC!

Pity because it was literally 5 mins drive from my house....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Got contacted by an agency today with a role - £250 a day .
    do people really work for those kind of rates?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If they don't find someone to work at a rate similar to their actual costs of hiring a permie (but without the hassle of getting rid later), they can blame it on 'the skills shortage' and get the government to allow importing of slave labour.

As for whether the £250/day 'just down the road' is worth considering, then consider cost of working further afield when unable to claim travel/accommodation expenses. There other advantages than the money aspect too from having a contract on your doorstep, get to see more of the family and other local interests. They may also consider a rate increase at renewal, or even a permie job if you decide a change is as good as a rest.

Also cuts out the travelling hassle while UK is in the 'depths of winter' and a hard frost brings the country to a standstill.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Again, this isn't fecking FaceBook.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Again, this isn't fecking FaceBook.
          you can tell by the lack of Kittens!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            If they don't find someone to work at a rate similar to their actual costs of hiring a permie (but without the hassle of getting rid later), they can blame it on 'the skills shortage' and get the government to allow importing of slave labour.

As for whether the £250/day 'just down the road' is worth considering, then consider cost of working further afield when unable to claim travel/accommodation expenses. There other advantages than the money aspect too from having a contract on your doorstep, get to see more of the family and other local interests. They may also consider a rate increase at renewal, or even a permie job if you decide a change is as good as a rest.

Also cuts out the travelling hassle while UK is in the 'depths of winter' and a hard frost brings the country to a standstill.
            Of course, as I've always said, lack of ability to claim travel/hotel expenses for insideIR35 roles now effectively can rule out contractors who are not local for these roles.

I agree there is a lot of advantage to doing a local role. I've done in the past for not much more after a 3 month spell on JSA!

However, for this role their either going to have to get lucky or put up with someone who is crap for this.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

People do work for those rates. I know a guy from India doing it now. He has two apartments back in India, that's his retirement fund and £180 or thereabouts is enough for him.

Comment

Working...
              X