• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indoor exercise bike, racer or upright?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indoor exercise bike, racer or upright?

Now Ive retired, I can think even more about my fitness. Love running even this time of year but there's no doubt, running when it is pissing down, cold and blowing a hoolie just results in chills and colds stopping you running for 7 to 10 days.

I got some weights at Christmas to work on (deteriorating!?) upper body strength and want an exercise bike to supplement my running. I was considering the 'racing' style indoor bikes, belt driven for quietness and with an 18 - 20kg flywheel.

Not sure my back would like the crouched over position though so also looking at the upright bike range. As the name suggests you sit a bit more upright so hopefully, less strain on the back.

Typically these has a smaller mass flywheel around the 8 - 10 kg range but with magnetic resistance settings will make the effort needed equally taxing.

So, anyone recommendations, pros and cons of the upright v racer studio bike? Budget is around 300 sods (I know but having just retired, want to watch my budget!)?

Love and kisses, retired washed up.

Washed up? Wait till you've been rotting on the beach for ten years. Not what you asked but I've got a Reebok cross trainer and a Men's Health Multi Gym in my garage. Unlike a previous one that I was always welding together, the Reebok trainer is darn good.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I have one of these...it's not being used anymore but when I did use it was great to watch TV and do a bit. Funnily enough it's fitbit that killed it off, we do challenges with friends and the bike machine obviously doesn't trigger the step count.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Fitnes.../dp/B0076ZG1HS

I've also got a treadmill, paid a few quid for a decent one. If the weather is crap or fancy a quick run it's pretty handy, but more than your 300 budget - just an idea for when you cash in your pension pot

Comment

How about one you can use outdoors too, when the weather improves....?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Washed up? Wait till you've been rotting on the beach for ten years. Not what you asked but I've got a Reebok cross trainer and a Men's Health Multi Gym in my garage. Unlike a previous one that I was always welding together, the Reebok trainer is darn good.
          Rotting on the bench? Ive retired mate. And Ive got one of these as my hobby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IUpBLBxuFs

Comment

If retired, go Spain or somewhere warmer where softies can still cycle during a bit of wind and rain in blighty.

I had an exercise bike a few years ago and barely used it as it was just so boring. For same reason I've never been tempted to join a gym, prefer outdoors.

Just got to wear the right kit, such as windproof lightweight jacket and gloves to stay warm but not overheat when it's raining or windy, and don't get saturated.

I only avoid going out if the wind is so bad you have to watch for falling trees and risk of other big objects blowing about, too dangerous.

Sustrans website is good for checking nearby routes that are traffic free, or find some proper off-road trails where you can enjoy the scenery rather than chase metrics.

If you really want an exercise bike I don't see the point of a racer, get an upright. No wind resistance factor indoors.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

One reason I don't run (there are others...) is that I damaged my back some years ago so have to be careful about how I stress it. After some trials, my exercise bike is a recliner, which is a lot more comfortable to use while getting bored out your skull...

Using weights one day, bike the next and Sunday off seems to work quite well. Or do a lot of work in the garden which is even more effective!
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                Now Ive retired, I can think even more about my fitness. Love running even this time of year but there's no doubt, running when it is pissing down, cold and blowing a hoolie just results in chills and colds stopping you running for 7 to 10 days.

I got some weights at Christmas to work on (deteriorating!?) upper body strength and want an exercise bike to supplement my running. I was considering the 'racing' style indoor bikes, belt driven for quietness and with an 18 - 20kg flywheel.

Not sure my back would like the crouched over position though so also looking at the upright bike range. As the name suggests you sit a bit more upright so hopefully, less strain on the back.

Typically these has a smaller mass flywheel around the 8 - 10 kg range but with magnetic resistance settings will make the effort needed equally taxing.

So, anyone recommendations, pros and cons of the upright v racer studio bike? Budget is around 300 sods (I know but having just retired, want to watch my budget!)?

Love and kisses, retired washed up.
                Your new forum awaits.

Retirement

This is the place to discuss plans for retirement, gloat about not having to go to work and share ideas on how to spend all this valuable time!
                Retirement Forum - GardenWeb

See ya
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Your new forum awaits.

See ya
                  That's for septics FFS, - they're boring at 20!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Your new forum awaits.

See ya
                    You clearly dont need any practice being a saddo nobber. It comes sooo naturally to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X