• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2nd car for Mrs Sockie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    make sure it has a decent size back seat, may back isn't what it used to be!
    may back? don't remember her.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
      After some time as a senior house and family office manager, Mrs Sockie is having an actual paid job now and one that requires a commute.
      Being just back into the wonderful job market her salary will definitely be on the lower end of the scale and me still paying most of the bills and her part covering the car lease and some cosmetics. We're both fine with that as you have to (re)start somewhere.
      With all that in mind what you do car wise?
      Buy an old cheap car outright, lease a cheap car, lease/rent a new slightly more expensive car?
      I offered to buy her a bicycle, which didn't go too well.
      Buy her a camper-van. That way she could do the ironing and washing at lunchtime and have the dinner cooking on the way home.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Commute is about 20-25 miles each day (including the school runs)
        What's so satisfying about owning a deprecating asset? I guess if they're exotic supercars, then they don't get any cheaper, everything else is just money down the drain anyway so who cares who owns the car?
        They are relatively high end so haven’t lost that much, but at least they are an asset.

Lease car is not yours so when you hand it back expect a large bill for tires and any damage. Often, there is a mileage limit on lease cars, two friends have gone over this limit. One because she just ignored it the other because of a change of role.

Nothing against lease cars, I’ve had a couple of nice cars that perhaps I would not have bought. Just now that I’ve done it I think second hand is a good way to go if you have the cash or whilst cash is cheap to borrow.

Comment

Commute is about 20-25 miles each day (including the school runs)
          What's so satisfying about owning a deprecating asset? I guess if they're exotic supercars, then they don't get any cheaper, everything else is just money down the drain anyway so who cares who owns the car?
          I guess the school run is the kicker, how many brats and what is the yummy mummy situation at the school gate she has to compete with?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If it is possible to get a decent (as in very low interest) pcp deal on an almost new car with something like 5000 miles or lower and less than a year old then this would be my preferred option as I would buy after 3 years and keep for as long as possible. My view is that the wife *must* have a reliable, easy to manoeuvre and comfortable car.

Comment

Hunt around the dealers for prices on the, what are they called now, super minis? 'Er indoors has a Yaris on lease which is nice and cheap, 1.1 engine does motorway speeds comfortably and is a breeze on the school run. Depends on what she wants I guess but ring around and see what deals they are doing. If you don't mind a pre-reg'd one or one of their stock list you can get some good prices. Hassle free nipping around for the next 3 years and option to buy if you know you've looked after it well.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks all, we've settled for Nissan Micra at £189pcm lease for 3 years with the option to buy outright if we still don't hate it after that long...

Comment

Sorted!

Morgan revives three-wheeler from 1930s for electric car | Daily Mail Online

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Buy her a camper-van. That way she could do the ironing and washing at lunchtime and have the dinner cooking on the way home.
                    Reminds me of previous neighbor's RV he modded the bedroom side form laundry ironing. They waited for a few pick up truck parts he ordered from 4WheelOnline and AutoAnything before finalizing installations on the truck and go full time on RV.

Comment

Originally posted by penley View Post
                      Reminds me of previous neighbor's RV he modded the bedroom side form laundry ironing. They waited for a few pick up truck parts he ordered from 4WheelOnline and AutoAnything before finalizing installations on the truck and go full time on RV.
                      Speak English boy!

Comment

Working...
                      X