• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best/Worst Jobs as a Teenager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late teens, just out of college - my first ever full time job. Was pretty desperate as my parents had dropped the bombshell that they expected me to pay my way - so applied for half the jobs in the paper.

Ended up getting one at a cleaning firm - basically, the task was to take a Ford Transit with a jet washer and an IBC water container to new build houses and clean the outside of things like mortar, brick dust etc to make them look pretty. It was.....grim, to say the least. The work was ******* awful:
    1. I hated heights (Part of me thought the job would cure me of my fear - didn't work!)
    2. My work mate was the chavviest chav known to chav (And recently banned from driving after a short Police pursuit that he was very proud of)
    3. Boss wasn't much better
    4. I spent most of the day soaking wet, freezing cold and covered in rank chemicals (This was winter time)

Then he started taking the piss on hours. The deal was a flat day rate for 7 - 3, which rapidly became 7 - 4, then 5 and 6. Anyway, the straw that broke the camels back was when the boss was on-site with me in the other van. He managed to fall off his ladder and break his foot, then declared that I was to stay "until the job was done". Watched him drive off site, packed up the van, parked it at base and never went back.

I'd only just passed my driving test and so I also very nearly killed myself when I was told to drive the van between sites with the water container full. Was probably close to, or over, maximum weight and sailed straight through a set of traffic lights at the end of a motorway slip road. That was a lesson!

I don't put it on my CV..
    Last edited by vwdan; 2 January 2018, 19:47.

Comment

I had this job a while ago in Birmingham. Some google rival. The boss kept wanting me to dress up in a gladiator outfit and bend me over a DFS sofa while he inserted a radiator key and a chutney spoon.

Comment

i don't put anything that long ago on my CV.
        it'd be on page 49 or somewhere
        CV's need to be short, to match managers' attention span

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I had this job a while ago in Birmingham. Some google rival. The boss kept wanting me to dress up in a gladiator outfit and bend me over a DFS sofa while he inserted a radiator key and a chutney spoon.
          So Brillo posts the Job he loved the most!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Cleaning an old people's home, the stench of desperation was vile.

I did like working at a hotel & shagging the female customers. Sun, sea, sand & Swiss + French secretaries
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              So Brillo posts the Job he loved the most!
              It only became his best job when the boss licked the chutney spoon and then put it back in....

Comment

Worked in a fruit n veg shop at 14 - that was alright really - if you do not mind squashing boxes and sweeping up rotten fruit in the rain.

Worked as cleaner at sports centre at 16 ish - that was good cos at weekends I was on double time which was £6.66 per hour - and this was back in the late 80's which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Worked in a fruit n veg shop at 14 - that was alright really - if you do not mind squashing boxes and sweeping up rotten fruit in the rain.
                  Did you have to put up with a stuttering lecherous owner?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                    It only became his best job when the boss licked the chutney spoon and then put it back in....

That was clearly a re-enactment.

In the original the person with the spoon was in a squirrel costume.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Did you have to put up with a stuttering lecherous owner?
                      No - no nurse Gladys to ease my woes either.

Comment

Working...
                      X