• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best/Worst Jobs as a Teenager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another story from the same period, nothing to do with work but what the hell! This was the late seventies and the swinging sixties had just reached Bolton, and we had this Alsatian dog, Judy (no, not a Keith Laird story) that was always very sickly and weak, and had hip displacia which I think affects this breed. Anyway..

I'd had a few, early in my drinking career, and in bed, woke up about 2:00am dying for a wazz. My bedroom (box room, 8' x 6') was farthest from the toilet, which unbelievably was inside the house. I wobbled across the landing not noticing the dog had shiit at the top of the stairs and not only that, was a particularly sloppy, runny one. And I stood in it. Can still feel it oozing between my toes. We didn't have slippers in Bolton then, so I was barefoot. Luckily I only stood in it with one foot so I could hop to the loo to clean it off.

As I said, I'd had a few so couldn't be arsed with a full clean up, but I had a brainwave, I did my piss, and dunked my foot in the loo bowl and flushed the poo off and went to bed with a wet foot.

...and left my mum to clean the poo up next morning. It was her dog anyway, she brought it home.....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Oh so you had rich parents who allowed you to be a lazy sod...
      Too busy studying for 9 O Levels, then 5 A Levels, then Cambridge Uni.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        Some of us had to work so the family could eat....

would have been nice to have the time to study loads etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Some of us had to work so the family could eat....

would have been nice to have the time to study loads etc.....

It's funny how successful people stem from all sorts of educational backgrounds. I Was educated at home by my mother (questionable how much I was educated at times!) went to college and did a BTEC and then went straight into work. Fortunately I've always had a good work ethic and certainly landed on my feet with my first helpdesk job. Since then my educational background hasn't once come up during an interview.

Comment

I hope this is true.
            There was a call centre that wanted everyone chained to their desks, answering calls all day. Unfortunately the lights were motion activated and kept going off.
            Solution?
            The call centre employed a teenager whose sole job was to walk around the vast floorspace flapping his arms in the air to keep the lights on.

Comment

I actually have siblings and extended family members who worked part-time and at least in the summer holidays, when studying O levels* and A levels. They blame the A level results on working but I suspect it was their interest in the opposite sex as some only worked in the summer....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I used to hate doing bob a job but I did it, in full uniform I mght add

Mowed a lot of lawns, and washed a lot of cars.

whose f**ing idea was that!!
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

In hindsight what I should have said was "this is bob a job not f***ing child labour"

I'm alright Jack

Comment

So why did that you prevent you getting a job? I got 10 O Levels (and a CSE), 4 A Levels (+3 S papers), then to university, and had three jobs during that time (plus a handful of odd jobs here and there, hence the loading old glass onto a truck).

Or where you one of those thick people who have to study to get good results?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X