• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone NOT got private health insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NHS is underfunded simple as that. Whilst, I've enjoyed private health care it's limited and I do not want to go down the US route.

My experience of the NHS is that it's great for an emergency but then it goes downhill. We are stuck in a bizarre situation now where the misses dad has alzheimer's, been admitted to hospital because of violent behavior brought on probably by an infection (I'm not going to go into the moan about 10 hour wait etc to be seen at A&E). The consultant sectioned him so he could be treated and they needed to restrain him to give him drugs. So, now everyone agrees that he should return to nursing home (they all had to put docs together which then usually get rejected etc so takes loads of time) but with extra help (more cost).

But one part of the organisation is arguing that because he has been sectioned then another budget should look after him. They now want him to be assessed for several weeks before they will agree to spend out of their budget. So the poor man is taking up a bed at the hospital while different departments pass the buck.

It's clear different departments are under budget pressure and have been told to do everything to delay spending cash out of their budget. Believe me when you hear someone say to you that it doesn't matter what the doctors say "I decide how my budget is spent." you will feel incredibly angry and frustrated.

We can all be jolly and say we are contractors and can afford private health care, but when you get old, god forbid you end up on the NHS rollercoaster because private health insurance is not going to help you.

We need investment in the NHS, simple as that. It will need to come from higher taxes.
    Last edited by woohoo; 3 January 2018, 11:57.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      We need investment in the NHS, simple as that. It will need to come from higher taxes.
      I disagree. The money should come from ending JSA.

Comment

Why do the Govt make private health insurance a BIK? Surely if they incentivised private healthcare - it would mean less strain (even if only very limited) on the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          30 minutes on the phone to get a same day appointment with a doctor seems pretty fair to me. Ours is similar, phones are rammed but I've never not been able to get in same day. Not sure of many other services you can get to see a person with so little effort. What do you want, them to be sitting there doing nothing until you turn up demanding an instant consultation...

And I know plenty of people getting same day appointments to hospitals so you are talking bollocks.

You are also mixing mental health in with it all. Mental health facilities are notoriously underfunded and very different to someone needing life saving/changing services. Apples and pears.
          Chances of getting said appointment are still about 50/50 though.

I think it seems to vary a lot in different areas with hospital appointments....

Mental health is just as important can be life saving/changing. But yes underfunded is not the word....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Ours has a new online system. AskMyGP. You message your Dr. directly via a web service. If they think you need an appointment then they book you one there and then, if they aren't sure they call you and then decide. Otherwise you get advice and pointed to Pharmacy etc. as appropriate. Either way you get a response within an hour.
            Brilliant idea like it.

Our surgery does web booking of appointments but only 2/3 weeks in advance which is a bit limited but better than nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Mental health covers alot of things. From people who get SAD. To people with a huge weight of personal problems. To those with disorders. Autism, bi-polar, etc.

I have been very honest about my own mental health issues on these boards. However I am saying less and less. When I get so many frequent attacks, what is the point.

EO had the right idea. A great loss to the forums. Incredibly witty - especially Friday stories. Which were then used against him by the trolls.

I want to hang round to help people in the Scheme Enquiries sub-forum. Not sure how long I can last.....
              Exactly. After the issues with my son, I'd argue with anyone who said mental health issues are not urgent or life threatening....

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                To answer the original question, I haven't got private health insurance.

I'm recovering very well from the recent double coronary artery bypass grafts I received as an urgent NHS patient in one of the best cardio-thoracic surgery units in the world, thanks
                OK I will admit if its urgent or very serious then nhs is very very good. Otherwise, its crap.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I disagree. The money should come from ending JSA.

Hang on BP I've got Florida holiday to pay for next year mun!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Hang on BP I've got Florida holiday to pay for next year mun!
                    I think you mean essential medical treatment for your son to cheer him up......

We are looking at possible Florida holiday this year. Maybe we should team up with NLUK and hire a really big villa......

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      To answer the original question, I haven't got private health insurance.

I'm recovering very well from the recent double coronary artery bypass grafts I received as an urgent NHS patient in one of the best cardio-thoracic surgery units in the world, thanks

Though I thought you were treated at the monkey sanctuary?

Comment

Working...
                      X