• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone NOT got private health insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone NOT got private health insurance?

Hospitals to delay non-urgent operations - BBC News

Completely nuts if you haven't. I didn't until recently and it proved a bad idea.....

Recent experience of NHS with my sons mental health issues have proven just how appallingly underfunded it is. And fact is there is no service at all pretty much for some things.

Never ceases to amaze me when I go to the GP and see the list of missed appointments that month. Some for same day bookings - how can you book a GP appointment then forget/not bother same day? I forgot an appointment once (it was booked online weeks in advance) and was mortified. Time to start asking for deposit of £10 off people who miss appointments to be taken if they fail to attend in the future.

Same with A&E. £10 charge would put off hundreds of people. Also, need to be tougher - send people home and tell them to call their GP if appropriate.

Trouble is we've got the wrong attitude to the NHS. Its a case of I'm ill sort it with no thought for how it all works. My old man is the worlds worst - any sign of illness and he expects a doctor to visit him at home. Same for District Nurses. He will not help himself by getting a taxi the 1 mile to the GP surgery (he can well afford it).

My dear wife works as a District Nurse and they are massively short of staff and this is the biggest problem. Saying that, a lot of the organisation of the NHS is very poor indeed. Some people not fit to look after a hamster let alone ill people. As en employer they're pretty bad too.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Maybe there are GPs or health trusts that are badly organised but my experience is that it is incredibly efficient. Took my Mother to the GP over Christmas, appointment straight away, no wait, prescription was immediately available and hospital appointment for the following week.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Maybe there are GPs or health trusts that are badly organised but my experience is that it is incredibly efficient. Took my Mother to the GP over Christmas, appointment straight away, no wait, prescription was immediately available and hospital appointment for the following week.

Lucky then. In my area/GP - 8am phone call lottery for 30 mins to try and get an appointment with GP. If unlucky, try again tomorrow. Hospital appointment next week? No chance in a million years.....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Lucky then. In my area/GP - 8am phone call lottery for 30 mins to try and get an appointment with GP. If unlucky, try again tomorrow. Hospital appointment next week? No chance in a million years.....
        30 minutes on the phone to get a same day appointment with a doctor seems pretty fair to me. Ours is similar, phones are rammed but I've never not been able to get in same day. Not sure of many other services you can get to see a person with so little effort. What do you want, them to be sitting there doing nothing until you turn up demanding an instant consultation...

And I know plenty of people getting same day appointments to hospitals so you are talking bollocks.

You are also mixing mental health in with it all. Mental health facilities are notoriously underfunded and very different to someone needing life saving/changing services. Apples and pears.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          30 minutes on the phone to get a same day appointment with a doctor seems pretty fair to me. Ours is similar, phones are rammed but I've never not been able to get in same day. Not sure of many other services you can get to see a person with so little effort. What do you want, them to be sitting there doing nothing until you turn up demanding an instant consultation...

And I know plenty of people getting same day appointments to hospitals so you are talking bollocks.

You are also mixing mental health in with it all. Mental health facilities are notoriously underfunded and very different to someone needing life saving/changing services. Apples and pears.
          But wait, isn't this mental health in a nutshell?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

This is unusual????

Comment

You have to be careful with Private Health. Be very wary of private hospitals in particular. If you do go private, get in a NHS hospital with private part.

I am always shocked that when private hospitals mess up and people need critical care they just send the patients back to NHS.

Can I put private health insurance through my limited company?
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 17 December 2020, 12:16.

Comment

I wonder how many doctors are bypassing the NHS because they are seeing the riches that private practices offers? I suppose it's a vicious circle where those left behind finally get fed up and move private for some or all of their time, meaning more people take up private healthcare meaning there is even more demand.

The system is broken, mainly because there are too many politicians involved, but as long as the NHS is politically sensitive, and at the forefront of peoples mind it will always be the case, but I certainly don't want to go the other route and end up with a healthcare system like the US
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Ours has a new online system. AskMyGP. You message your Dr. directly via a web service. If they think you need an appointment then they book you one there and then, if they aren't sure they call you and then decide. Otherwise you get advice and pointed to Pharmacy etc. as appropriate. Either way you get a response within an hour.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    You have to be careful with Private Health. Be very wary of private hospitals in particular. If you do go private, get in a NHS hospital with private part.

I am always shocked that when private hospitals mess up and people need critical care they just send the patients back to NHS.
                    Yup. Spent an extended time in the Cromwell and they trucked me out to see consultants at different NHS hospitals. They serve booze in the rooms, which I prefer to sipping plastic tasting squash, with 8 people coughing/masturbating next to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X