AGW - nothing to worry about AGW - nothing to worry about
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    105,669

    Default AGW - nothing to worry about

    The sea floor will just sink so we won't notice the difference: -

    Water pouring off melting ice sheets making oceans heavier | Daily Mail Online
    Fight HMRC now! Help sue HMRC individual officers/government ministers for malfeasance in office. Visit https://www.loanchargejustice.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page to donate.

  2. #2

    Dirty spekulant

    Jog On - scorchio!

    Jog On's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Troll farm somewhere in Russia
    Posts
    7,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The sea floor will just sink so we won't notice the difference: -

    Water pouring off melting ice sheets making oceans heavier | Daily Mail Online
    Don't want to upset the lizards...
    Whatever...

  3. #3

    Super poster

    pjclarke 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,832

    Default

    The opposite. The deformation means the satellite altimeters that measure sea level rise are underestimating by about 8%.

    I was once ridiculed on here (and why else would I come?) for proposing that global warming will cause more earthquakes, well this is the mechanism, as ice sheets melt, the released downward pressure increases the likelihood of seismic events in the land below.

    Even the Daily Mail says so.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

  4. #4

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    105,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjclarke View Post
    The opposite.
    Do I have to put at the end of obvious sarcastic posts?

    Oh well. Sarcasm. Irony. Who cares.....
    Fight HMRC now! Help sue HMRC individual officers/government ministers for malfeasance in office. Visit https://www.loanchargejustice.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page to donate.

  5. #5

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates - scorchio!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    14,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjclarke View Post
    The opposite. The deformation means the satellite altimeters that measure sea level rise are underestimating by about 8%.

    I was once ridiculed on here (and why else would I come?) for proposing that global warming will cause more earthquakes, well this is the mechanism, as ice sheets melt, the released downward pressure increases the likelihood of seismic events in the land below.

    Even the Daily Mail says so.
    Earthquakes are caused by the movement of continental plates so let us presume that the pressure of the oceans does increase the frequency of earthquakes, that means the potential energy build up between earthquakes will be less as the pressure of the water "lubricates" the continental plates, and therefore more earthquakes of a lesser magnitude will be beneficial.
    I'm alright Jack

  6. #6

    Super poster

    Hobosapien - scorchio!

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    2,752

    Default

    Maybe the water will weigh so much that the plates stop moving. No more earthquakes.

    The extra water resistance and therefore effort required to swim through it will mean super sharks akin to dinosaurs though.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  7. #7

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ..., and therefore more earthquakes of a lesser magnitude will be beneficial.
    Seems you know as much about Earthquakes as you do about AGW, which is the square root of Feck All

    Far Field triggering
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  8. #8

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates - scorchio!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    14,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Seems you know as much about bullsh*t spewed out by pseudo scientists on Earthquakes as you do about bullsh*t spewed out by pseudo scientists on AGW, which is the square root of Feck All

    Far Field triggering
    FTFY

    Global warming leads to warmer winters

    Record cold winter



    Last edited by BlasterBates; 5th January 2018 at 11:23.
    I'm alright Jack

  9. #9

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,953

    Default

    Seems to suggest gravity will become stronger at those areas on the planet's surface. This could encourage increased movement of the continental plates resulting in ever stronger earthquakes.

    Who'd have thunk it, runaway global climate change resulting in earthquakes.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

  10. #10

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH has reached the peak. Play again?

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Seems to suggest gravity will become stronger at those areas on the planet's surface. This could encourage increased movement of the continental plates resulting in ever stronger earthquakes.

    Who'd have thunk it, runaway global climate change resulting in earthquakes.

    If gravity becomes stronger then will it pull the moon into a less stable orbit?
    In which case the tides get affected as well.
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

    Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •