• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AGW - nothing to worry about

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGW - nothing to worry about

The sea floor will just sink so we won't notice the difference: -

Water pouring off melting ice sheets making oceans heavier | Daily Mail Online

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The sea floor will just sink so we won't notice the difference: -

Water pouring off melting ice sheets making oceans heavier | Daily Mail Online
    Don't want to upset the lizards...
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

The opposite. The deformation means the satellite altimeters that measure sea level rise are underestimating by about 8%.

I was once ridiculed on here (and why else would I come?) for proposing that global warming will cause more earthquakes, well this is the mechanism, as ice sheets melt, the released downward pressure increases the likelihood of seismic events in the land below.

Even the Daily Mail says so.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
        The opposite.
        Do I have to put at the end of obvious sarcastic posts?

Oh well. Sarcasm. Irony. Who cares.....

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          The opposite. The deformation means the satellite altimeters that measure sea level rise are underestimating by about 8%.

I was once ridiculed on here (and why else would I come?) for proposing that global warming will cause more earthquakes, well this is the mechanism, as ice sheets melt, the released downward pressure increases the likelihood of seismic events in the land below.

Even the Daily Mail says so.
          Earthquakes are caused by the movement of continental plates so let us presume that the pressure of the oceans does increase the frequency of earthquakes, that means the potential energy build up between earthquakes will be less as the pressure of the water "lubricates" the continental plates, and therefore more earthquakes of a lesser magnitude will be beneficial.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Maybe the water will weigh so much that the plates stop moving. No more earthquakes.

The extra water resistance and therefore effort required to swim through it will mean super sharks akin to dinosaurs though.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              ..., and therefore more earthquakes of a lesser magnitude will be beneficial.
              Seems you know as much about Earthquakes as you do about AGW, which is the square root of Feck All

Far Field triggering
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Seems you know as much about bullsh*t spewed out by pseudo scientists on Earthquakes as you do about bullsh*t spewed out by pseudo scientists on AGW, which is the square root of Feck All

Far Field triggering
                FTFY

Global warming leads to warmer winters

Record cold winter

Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 January 2018, 11:23.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Seems to suggest gravity will become stronger at those areas on the planet's surface. This could encourage increased movement of the continental plates resulting in ever stronger earthquakes.

Who'd have thunk it, runaway global climate change resulting in earthquakes.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Seems to suggest gravity will become stronger at those areas on the planet's surface. This could encourage increased movement of the continental plates resulting in ever stronger earthquakes.

Who'd have thunk it, runaway global climate change resulting in earthquakes.

If gravity becomes stronger then will it pull the moon into a less stable orbit?
                    In which case the tides get affected as well.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X