• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Crypto the new contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    That would be a good outcome and I expect some will get out in time. The real shock will be for the greater fools left holding crypto when the bubble bursts.
    Not sure what is worse, losing something you never really had, or the tax man coming to take a massive chuck after you think you are in the clear
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Not sure what is worse, losing something you never really had, or the tax man coming to take a massive chuck after you think you are in the clear
      Presumably that is capital gains tax?

I am sure there is a scheme that can evade that.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

How'd that work out for you last time?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          How'd that work out for you last time?
          No-one seems willing to talk about the outcome on CUK.....

Comment

You're not getting married again?!

Comment

Why March 31st? Japanese related? Will gold go up or down?

BTW are crytpt gains tax free? income and capital gains?
              Nope, taxed (CGT) in the UK (and Germany if a single trade is kept for less than a year).

Both in the UK/DE "liquidating" between cryptos qualifies for tax on the event (e.g. buying ETH with BTC = taxed).

Comment

It's taxed as good old 'massive chunk' CGT with the £11,300 (or whatever the actual number is) tax free allowance. I'm sure if one were to cash out regularly and live solely off it that would be considered as 'massive chunk' income tax.

AFAIK there isn't a separate 'massive chunk' tax rate for crypto so it's taxed just like everything else. Shock horror!

Still on the upside it gives you lot something to argue about and make yourselves feel clever predicting the 'massive bubble burst' - and thos of us in it are making serious bank - it's all good

I believe cashing out to FAIT has already occured without banks closing accounts or SAS men crashing through the windows.

Anyway - won't stand in the way of a good arguement - carry on!
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Well, I suppose you could just [SHOCKHORROR] pay the correct amount of tax on Crypto income. [/SHOCKHORROR]
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Well, I suppose you could just [SHOCKHORROR] pay the correct amount of tax on Crypto income. [/SHOCKHORROR]
                    Who's suggesting not paying tax on it?

Of course one should pay tax on any investment gains whatever the vehicle - no?
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                      Nope, taxed (CGT) in the UK (and Germany if a single trade is kept for less than a year).

Both in the UK/DE "liquidating" between cryptos qualifies for tax on the event (e.g. buying ETH with BTC = taxed).
                      Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      One thing I would say about HMRC. The correct amount of tax is clearly set out and defined.

It would be funny if certain millionaire posters lost all their crypto holdings in the coming crash. Then made bankrupt by the unbudgeted tax bill.

I remember a trader at Lehman. Bought a really big place with mortgage. Secured on Lehman shares!

Ended up living with his parents.....

Comment

Working...
                      X