• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Summer family holiday recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ta woohoo.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
      In terms of Majorca, this place was very pleasant a few years ago and looks to have kept the standard up on TA. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...c_Islands.html
      Very nice but unfortunately blows my budget

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Looking for:

1. Spain or Portugal
        2. Budget ~£5k for 10 day or 2 week holiday
        3. 4 or 5 star hotel or aparthotel.
        4. Not a chavvy place
        5. Near beach
        6. Suitable for kids but not parent hell either

I doubt any of you moonlight as travel advisors but I'm only asking in case anyone here can personally recommend a place
        Depends how old the kids are and what their preferences are.

I find that some hotels and villa's can be quite dull for kids as unless you entertain them they are on their own.

Whilst a bit 'cheap' (but still not spa chavvy!) try Eurocamp or similar - the kids may love the kids clubs etc

Comment

A couple of parts of Majorca that maybe aren't as well known:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Touris...Vacations.html

OK, this one is a bit busier, but some nice bars/restaurants around the marina:
          https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Touris...Vacations.html
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Rent a villa with a pool in Portugal. That's what we were planning to do, but we're going to Australia for a wedding instead.
            RENT a villa?

Surely any self respecting contractor will already have a bolt hole in the sun.

Anyway we used these guys before we got our place in Spain

https://www.jamesvillas.co.uk/
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Have a look at Split and the area around. They've got beaches and is growing as a summer holiday destination but you've got the old towns to explore to break it up so a bit of something for everyone. Quite a few villas with pools but you've got the sea side as well. Self catering will keep the costs down so can spend a bit more on the villa/evenings.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Have a look at Split and the area around. They've got beaches and is growing as a summer holiday destination but you've got the old towns to explore to break it up so a bit of something for everyone. Quite a few villas with pools but you've got the sea side as well. Self catering will keep the costs down so can spend a bit more on the villa/evenings.
                Nice part of the world, some lovely islands off the coast. Picked up a bare boat charter from the town of Marina, about 10 miles west of Split, then did some island hopping a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  1. Spain or Portugal
                  4. Not a chavvy place
                  These two things seem incompatible to me . Why not try the Greek Islands instead? Far less chavvy (assuming you avoid Faliraki etc), nicer locals, same (or better) weather, good food, similar travel time and probably cheaper too.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Nice part of the world, some lovely islands off the coast. Picked up a bare boat charter from the town of Marina, about 10 miles west of Split, then did some island hopping a few years ago.
                    Yeah did exactly the same. We followed the guides recommended route so was a bit touristy at each location. Should have just set off in a direction and gone to explore. Noted for next time.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Yeah did exactly the same. We followed the guides recommended route so was a bit touristy at each location. Should have just set off in a direction and gone to explore. Noted for next time.
                      Just pulled up a map to try to work out where we dropped anchor each night...

Masilinca (Solta)
                      Vis (from there out to Bisevo)
                      Komiza
                      Marinkovak
                      Milna (Brac)
                      I'm sure there was somewhere else, but can't work out where it was.

Comment

Working...
                      X