• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Golden Globes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-golden-globes

Her speech was excellent. As someone commented on Youtube 'She made more sense than the president ever has'.

One to watch, I reckon she may run in the future.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

To be honest the whole saga winds me up more than it probably should. I would never condone rape or harassment, but there is a huge difference between being raped and giving out sexual favours in exchange for movie roles. One is a choice and the other isn't.

Yes you can argue that these women wanted a movie career but they still made a choice and I bet if enough of them had said no then it would have stopped happening when no movie could get a female actress. It's a sorry situation for society but I worry we'll end up with the opposite extreme where men can't even look at a woman in case she sees lust in his eyes and decides that it was some kind of sexual overture.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I have to say

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-golden-globes

Her speech was excellent. As someone commented on Youtube 'She made more sense than the president ever has'.

One to watch, I reckon she may run in the future.

Feck it, I've just had a grand on her.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
          To be honest the whole saga winds me up more than it probably should. I would never condone rape or harassment, but there is a huge difference between being raped and giving out sexual favours in exchange for movie roles. One is a choice and the other isn't.

Yes you can argue that these women wanted a movie career but they still made a choice and I bet if enough of them had said no then it would have stopped happening when no movie could get a female actress. It's a sorry situation for society but I worry we'll end up with the opposite extreme where men can't even look at a woman in case she sees lust in his eyes and decides that it was some kind of sexual overture.
          That's where it's heading already. We're seeing men avoid situations where they are alone with female colleagues (eg Mike Pence) to protect themselves from potential allegations. So if a male boss has to choose who to take on a business trip - or to who to mentor, or take on as an assistant - they are going with lower risk. This is happening in America now.

I get that there is a hell of a lot of (very justified) anger coming out from centuries/millennia of patriarchy and we desperately need more female influence in order to survive as a species (less war, mindless consumption/destruction of the planet in the name of profit). But what kind of men do they really want us to become?

Because last time I checked they like being looked at and appreciated and desired, and emasculated, subservient, whipped men are not really much good to anyone.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            That's where it's heading already. We're seeing men avoid situations where they are alone with female colleagues (eg Mike Pence) to protect themselves from potential allegations. So if a male boss has to choose who to take on a business trip - or to who to mentor, or take on as an assistant - they are going with lower risk. This is happening in America now.

I get that there is a hell of a lot of (very justified) anger coming out from centuries/millennia of patriarchy and we desperately need more female influence in order to survive as a species (less war, mindless consumption/destruction of the planet in the name of profit). But what kind of men do they really want us to become?

Because last time I checked they like being looked at and appreciated and desired, and emasculated, subservient, whipped men are not really much good to anyone.
            As is the norm with such matters, the pendulum will swing too far the other way before eventually arriving at a sensible compromise.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              As is the norm with such matters, the pendulum will swing too far the other way before eventually arriving at a sensible compromise.
              By which time all the men will be skinny, tatooed, coffee shop barista, hair bun, male feminist lefties cowering in a corner and deferring to their Blue haired leaders when the revolution arrives.

"Where are all the good men?!" will be the complaint and it will of course be all our fault.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I don't agree with much of this, sorry. I think we will find the numbers of women in high places increasing within the next few years as they come through. The majority of my male friends are with someone that earns more money than them - they also congratulate themselves on it - yes I know if a man did the same but that's life.

They are very active in encouraging other women for promotion etc. There are loads of women events and business is done through these.

I don't believe women stop wars, if you think that then you don't know women very well. I also think the men and women that crave and achieve these positions of power are a breed apart.

Men should be what they want to be, you don't conform to how someone else wants you to be - start off by being nice would be a bloody great help to the world.

Comment

emasculated, subservient, whipped men are not really much good to anyone.
                  they're the ones they marry (and screw over).
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I don't agree with much of this, sorry. I think we will find the numbers of women in high places increasing within the next few years as they come through. The majority of my male friends are with someone that earns more money than them - they also congratulate themselves on it - yes I know if a man did the same but that's life.

They are very active in encouraging other women for promotion etc. There are loads of women events and business is done through these.

I don't believe women stop wars, if you think that then you don't know women very well. I also think the men and women that crave and achieve these positions of power are a breed apart.

Men should be what they want to be, you don't conform to how someone else wants you to be - start off by being nice would be a bloody great help to the world.
                    I'm not doubting the number of women in senior positions nor saying its a bad thing. There are more Mike Pences cropping up as a result of an overdone and overexploited #metoo movement.

I do believe that if more women held senior positions in government and business the world would be a more peaceful place. And not just the Hillary Clintons and Victoria Nulands...

I agree that men should be who they want to be without conforming to being 'nice guys'.

Comment

So if you are a chap and plan B was taking off and you had to make a hire. You and that person in an office on your own, would you hire a female?

Could very easily put stress on home life.

Comment

Working...
                      X