• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Junior PM looking for 1st contract role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junior PM looking for 1st contract role

I graduated in 2013, been working as a PM for 3years and would like to get into contracting now.

1. Where does one find junior-mid level contract jobs?
    2. What agencies/jobsites should i be looking at?
    3. Do i have enough experience to get my foot in the door, and stay in the door?

I've searched within the forum for 1st contract roles, junior/grad contract roles, but no relevant hits. Theres a lot of advice on people going from permie to contract for the 1st time, not so much a junior going into permie.

Thank you for all your advice in advance...

Originally posted by Viola View Post
    I graduated in 2013, been working as a PM for 3years and would like to get into contracting now.

3. Do i have enough experience to get my foot in the door, and stay in the door?

I've searched within the forum for 1st contract roles, junior/grad contract roles, but no relevant hits. Theres a lot of advice on people going from permie to contract for the 1st time, not so much a junior going into permie.

Don’t bother unless you want to work in the PMO even then you are too wet behind the ears. Put in another 6 years permie at least as a PM earn your stripes to evidence more depth of experience which is what you need to compete, there are no short cuts
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

1. No such thing really.
      2. NA
      3. No. You will be competing with experienced experts.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I've searched within the forum for 1st contract roles, junior/grad contract roles, but no relevant hits. Theres a lot of advice on people going from permie to contract for the 1st time, not so much a junior going into permie. .
        I think you meant contract at the end but anyway, there is a good reason you can't find anything
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

1. Use the link on this site - or jobserve
          2. Same as above
          3. If you feel like you do and can go into a new project and be productive and deliver good value then yes go for it. Look at the lower rate gigs that the more experienced contractors wouldn't consider

Might be worth looking at project support/PMO roles to start with. make sure you read all the CV guides on here as well.

The business/contracts forum is probably a better place to ask these questions.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            1. Use the link on this site - or jobserve
            2. Same as above
            3. If you feel like you do and can go into a new project and be productive and deliver good value then yes go for it. Look at the lower rate gigs that the more experienced contractors wouldn't consider
            Not so sure even that is going to work. The client still wants the experience even if they are penny pinching. You are in wish and a prayer territory here so not really a good basis to keep contracting. As they say, the 2nd gig is the hardest to find.
            Might be worth looking at project support/PMO roles to start with. make sure you read all the CV guides on here as well.
            I don't think this is a good idea either. You'll be tagged as that. You can't move up through the ranks as a contractor. Only as good as your last gig and all that. Contracting is not a place to try build a career.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Not so sure even that is going to work. The client still wants the experience even if they are penny pinching. You are in wish and a prayer territory here so not really a good basis to keep contracting. As they say, the 2nd gig is the hardest to find.

I don't think this is a good idea either. You'll be tagged as that. You can't move up through the ranks as a contractor. Only as good as your last gig and all that. Contracting is not a place to try build a career.
              I went from tech support to app packaging discovery to BA in 3 gigs (6 years ago and got Prince 2/ITIL/Agile certs during the transition). Been a BA since.

Sometimes you have to sink or swim - I don't think there is such a thing as moving up the ranks as a contractor, which is part of the beauty of contracting. The ability to up your rate and role description at each gig is something that can be fully exploited.

I've seen programme managers in their 20s in some places. If OP knows they can do the job then go for it IMO.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Why are you interested in contracting? Is it the money? If so you might want to reconsider.

Although it's possible to find a contract role with your limited experience and get your foot through the door, the chances are slim. Keeping your foot on the other side is even harder, this will be a major concern going forward as the second gig is often harder to find than the first and you might end up without income for months and limited funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  I went from tech support to app packaging discovery to BA in 3 gigs (6 years ago and got Prince 2/ITIL/Agile certs during the transition). Been a BA since.

Sometimes you have to sink or swim - I don't think there is such a thing as moving up the ranks as a contractor, which is part of the beauty of contracting. The ability to up your rate and role description at each gig is something that can be fully exploited.

I've seen programme managers in their 20s in some places. If OP knows they can do the job then go for it IMO.
                  I agree, contractors don't have ranks or promotions, they just get old and one day they end up invoicing a higher power.

Comment

You will need to look at small companies - probably best to go perm as in a small company you need to wear lots of hats and you will learn a lot more than just the PM side of things - once you have that then look around.

A bit of a tip for you - project management is a lot more than asking someone when it can be done and if it can be done any quicker.

Remember at 25 you will be dealing with people who have 20-30 years experience and will know more than you.

Comment

Working...
                    X