• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Different question about business travel - where is home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    You do not have (or should not have) business expenditure personally. Let YourCo pay for such things directly since that is what is there for, among other things. Then the whole question of BIKs becomes moot under most circumstances.
    I think you misunderstand. Business travel expenses (and related expenses like accommodation and subsistence) are employee expenditure, not company expenditure. They are costs borne by the employee as they are necessary to do their job. It is the employee that benefits from the travel, not the business. For this reason, even if an employee is not reimbursed by their employer for these costs, they may still be able to benefit from tax relief.

Whether or not the company chooses to pay for it's employee's travel directly or have the employee pay for it out of their own pocket and then reimburse them makes no different to the question of whether or its taxable as a BIK. The rules are the same in any case. The only thing you gain from having YourCo pay directly is slightly less paperwork as you don't need to keep a record of expense claims and reimbursements.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 9 January 2018, 14:21.

Comment

ahh

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      If I fly to and from London to visit client's site that's business travel. As are the hotels, meals etc.

If I fly to London, do the visits, and then fly to visit family in the alps, could that (flight to alps) count, not as a business trip, but as the return home trip (and a genuine business expense)?

If I then fly home from the alps that's most definitely personal.
      If I fly to London to visit the client from the alps then that's business?

I'll ask my accountant later when he's finished my SA.
      you might as well say home sir

Zermatt: 13,000 tourists trapped at Swiss ski resort | Daily Mail Online

Comment

It's wherever your heart is, which introduces a potential tax advantage of a heart transplant.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          where is home?
          Wherever you lay your hat, that's your home.

(I am disappointed it's taken over 20 replies for someone to write that. This place is going downhill etc etc)
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            It's wherever your heart is, which introduces a potential tax advantage of a heart transplant.
            If I leave mine in San Francisco, can I claim the flights to go back and get it?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

(I am disappointed it's taken over 20 replies for someone to write that. This place is going downhill etc etc)
              I did consider making that joke, but I decided not to lower myself to that level.

Comment

If I leave mine in San Francisco, can I claim the flights to go back and get it?
                Sure, and maybe if you go to Tracy Island you might find your Brains.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I say it is wherever you lay your wife.

However in my cause it is usually the wives doing the f**king.

So probably home is the divorce courts....

Comment

Heavy-handed moderator here has moved this thread to General.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Heavy-handed moderator here has moved this thread to General.
                      Better than the alternative. Waiting for the edgy comments then moving it to professional and issuing bans.....

Comment

Working...
                      X