• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do men have a right to "hit" on women?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    I prefer pay as you go, not a contract.
    The missus says that's when you actually pay. She asks can you settle your account at some point this week? Cash flow issues and all that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

People should be allowed to "hit on" each other, but if you are going to do it, you must respect the right of the other person to reject your advances.

If you can't show that respect, then no, you shouldn't have the right.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Was having a big to-do about this with my step sister who was getting all irate about someone who dined at her hotel a few times alone, giving her a fairly forward Christmas card. Nothing rude, but it read along the lines of:

"Dear Katie, thank you for making me smile; you are one of the most beautiful women I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I know this is forward but, it's Christmas so... Would you like to join me for a drink one evening? I'll expect a no but hold out for a Christmas Miracle if you were to say yes. See you soon, MR Something. <insert mobile number here>"

Now. I thought that it was fairly well written, not over the top and clearly at the very least a compliment; if a nice looking girl gave me a surprise card like that i'd have whipped my phone out before I'd even properly read it! However, my step sister was saying how horrid it was to have been "letched" on like that by a customer and that he was clearly desperate blah blah yaddy yaddah. Personally I think that's far less seedy than walking up to a random bird in a bar and offering her a drink! At least the man had conversed with her a few times and knew a bit about her! If you walk up to a stranger and offer them a drink you may as well open with "Hey! I've been staring at your ass / breasts / legs / whatever for the last five minutes and think your clothes look far better on the floor than on you; Can I get you a drink!?" But apparently that's more acceptable and appropriate somehow...

What is wrong with women!?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          People should be allowed to "hit on" each other, but if you are going to do it, you must respect the right of the other person to reject your advances.

and if people regularly get drunk together they should be prepared to forgive and forget each others more stupid drunken antics and comments, and not apply a retrospective lens of perfection which is completely unrealistic given the amount drank

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Hopefully "hit on" will be via words not physical contact. And be polite. Words like "For a fat lass you don't sweat much" should be banned.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Hopefully "hit on" will be via words not physical contact. And be polite. Words like "For a fat lass you don't sweat much" should be banned.
              A chubby woman came up to me once and said "Oi! Youre fattist!" I said "No dear, you're fattest."

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                Now. I thought that it was fairly well written, not over the top and clearly at the very least a compliment; if a nice looking girl gave me a surprise card like that i'd have whipped my phone out before I'd even properly read it! However, my step sister was saying how horrid it was to have been "letched" on like that by a customer and that he was clearly desperate blah blah yaddy yaddah. Personally I think that's far less seedy than walking up to a random bird in a bar and offering her a drink! At least the man had conversed with her a few times and knew a bit about her! If you walk up to a stranger and offer them a drink you may as well open with "Hey! I've been staring at your ass / breasts / legs / whatever for the last five minutes and think your clothes look far better on the floor than on you; Can I get you a drink!?" But apparently that's more acceptable and appropriate somehow...

What is wrong with women!?
                This is exactly the problem with (some) women. I don't see how we can survive as a species if there isn't some fairly objective agreement as to what constitutes acceptable flattery/interest and what is actually sexual harassment. If it's really up to each individual to decide, then what chance has a guy got. On a broader subject it's the same issue generally these days with everyone seeming to have a right to be offended by whatever they want, AND expecting society to do something about it. We need to get back to the place where you can be offended by what you want, but nobody necessarily has to give a flying duck about it. Stupidity is winning and it needs to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                  and if people regularly get drunk together they should be prepared to forgive and forget each others more stupid drunken antics and comments, and not apply a retrospective lens of perfection which is completely unrealistic given the amount drank
                  If it's a regular occurrence that they go out together and this happens, then maybe they shouldn't go out together if one of them really doesn't like it.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Hopefully Surrey dog walkers can still hit on cyclists with any calibre weapon they choose.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpim_n0r0z0

very relevant

Comment

Working...
                      X