• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My own personal motorway lane

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I know this is sarcasm but those people are the reason why traffic jams occur

The only way they can merge once they get to the end of the lane which is closed is for all the other traffic to slow down to zero to let them in

If everyone merged with a mile to go you would happily continue at a certain pace which is above zero.
    Merge in turn should be the rule at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Merge in turn should be the rule at the end.
      Like the germans zipper rule...

German Roads Are Smarter Than Yours | Immodest proposal | OZY

And if you do not obey ze rules you will be of to ze camps!

Comment

The biggest danger i see on motorways is lorries hogging the middle lane for miles and causing miles of tailback behind.
        They just give a signal and move to middle lane without caring if a car is already there in the middle lane beside them.
        I have seen dozens of times people swerving at the last minute to avoid them

Comment

M25 Surrey/Kent four lane section - inside two lanes always much quicker. Just need to watch out for the lorries...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I did get pulled over by the rozzers once in the mid 90s for staying in the middle lane. It was 2am, and no-one else was around (except for the police of course). Not quite sure what the point was.
            They wanted to know where to get elbow patches like the ones on your corduroy jacket
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              I know this is sarcasm but those people are the reason why traffic jams occur

The only way they can merge once they get to the end of the lane which is closed is for all the other traffic to slow down to zero to let them in

If everyone merged with a mile to go you would happily continue at a certain pace which is above zero.
              Wrong. You can mathematically model it. If all lanes are used and people merge as the lanes close, the traffic moves faster overall and queues are shortened. Shorter queues are important because if the queue goes back as far as a junction you get even more congestion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/13/u...r-traffic.html

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/d...e/zip-merging/

I have noticed over the years that more people are using the outside lane until the last 100 yards or so.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Ride a bike and filter....traffic conjestion! What's that?

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                  And will give better erectile function: -

Riding a bike does NOT damage sexual or urinary functions | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Definately nothing better than the throb of a 1200cc v-twin ducati between your legs.

Comment

Definately nothing better than the throb of a 1200cc v-twin ducati between your legs.
                      doesn't help your spelling though.
                      not a great ducati fan, but i agree in principle

Comment

Working...
                      X