• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My own personal motorway lane

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My own personal motorway lane

I have recently discovered this great new empty motorway lane. I think some people call it the inside lane.

Over 40 per cent of drivers admit hogging middle lane | Daily Mail Online

The police appear to have all but abandoned the roads, presumably due to budget cuts(I am being kind there).

So little consideration these days.....

When I am bored I drive circles around middle lane drivers

e.g. go into fast lane, over take, then pull into inside lane let them over take you pull into fast lane, rinse and repeat

make sure you smile and wave as they go past

it's really funny to see the look on their faces as they seem confused as to what you are doing with no clue about what they are doing which is allowing you to do what you are doing.

I think i need to get out more.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

e.g. go into fast lane, over take, then pull into inside lane let them over take you pull into fast lane, rinse and repeat

it's really funny to see the look on their faces as they seem confused as to what you are doing with no clue about what they are doing which is allowing you to do what you are doing.

Whenever I do that they never seem to notice. And I regularly see other drivers deliberately undertaking to make a point.

Sometimes I see people hogging the outside lane. 60mph on M25 outside lane! Usually the look totally terrified. Or singing to music.

Comment

I did get pulled over by the rozzers once in the mid 90s for staying in the middle lane. It was 2am, and no-one else was around (except for the police of course). Not quite sure what the point was.

When I commuted on the M25 daily in the early 2000s, I realised that I kept being overtaken by the same trucks. It seems as soon as there's a slow down, the inside line actually moves faster. Now when I'm on a congested motorway, as soon as I see signs of a slow down, I get into the inside line. Makes for a faster, less stressful journey.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I did get pulled over by the rozzers once in the mid 90s for staying in the middle lane. It was 2am, and no-one else was around (except for the police of course). Not quite sure what the point was.

When I commuted on the M25 daily in the early 2000s, I realised that I kept being overtaken by the same trucks. It seems as soon as there's a slow down, the inside line actually moves faster. Now when I'm on a congested motorway, as soon as I see signs of a slow down, I get into the inside line. Makes for a faster, less stressful journey.
          There’s some sort of flow dynamics going on in motorway congestion, and youre right.

I think that everyone assumes the inside lane will be slowest, and move out, including joiners who you might think will make the inside slower but they think the same, abd move over effectively clearing the inside lane.

Stek, trap 2, third floor bogs, clientco, Dublin, three bar 4G

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Did a Defensive Driving course many years ago (employer company car insurance requirement) and they pretty much said the same.

Also, its tonks safer because you've got the hard shoulder. If theres a pile up ahead and your in middle/outside your facked. On the inside, you just go up the hard shoulder.

Theres a video out there somewhere of a famous pile-up in fog and you can see the lucky buggers who managed to get away up the hard shoulder and the unlucky ones who got stuck and then shunted by lorries and all sorts.

Just got to get it to sink into my mrs head that wanging along at 85 in the outside lane, as opposed to 70 in the inside taking it easy really isnt going to make up the 15 mins (or anything like it) you're late for a 20 mile journey. I think its a woman thing!
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Did a Defensive Driving course many years ago (employer company car insurance requirement) and they pretty much said the same.

Also, its tonks safer because you've got the hard shoulder. If theres a pile up ahead and your in middle/outside your facked. On the inside, you just go up the hard shoulder.

Theres a video out there somewhere of a famous pile-up in fog and you can see the lucky buggers who managed to get away up the hard shoulder and the unlucky ones who got stuck and then shunted by lorries and all sorts.

Just got to get it to sink into my mrs head that wanging along at 85 in the outside lane, as opposed to 70 in the inside taking it easy really isnt going to make up the 15 mins (or anything like it) you're late for a 20 mile journey. I think its a woman thing!
              Not sure it's just a woman thing but yes the thinking is incorrect for short journeys...

Now when I am doing the 230 odd miles to Glasgow the difference between 90 and 70 does become significant - and it means i can get to the bar about 30 minutes earlier

which is important.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

What annoys me is when the chauffer is driving along on cruise control and he ends up doing squares around someone because they can't maintain a regular pace.

Comment

The real problem with motoring today is driving gloves. When I take to the road in my horseless carriage, I need to be suitably attired. But getting hold of good quality driving gloves is all but impossible nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    A chap I used to get on the train with was involved with one of those on the M42. He was driving for met police assistant commissioner.

He got on the hard shoulder. The commissioner wanted to go and help people. The chap dragged him up the bank and watched people die in front of them. The commissioner could have done nothing except get killed.

Suffice to say, he was deeply affected by it....

Comment

Working...
                    X