• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The ageing population myth (Very boring thread)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

So, 25% of A&E admissions (the over 60s) are responsible for 75% of the costs (approx)
    That would be the over 60s that have, for the most part, been paying into the system for 40-50 years. Those over 60s?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      That would be the over 60s that have, for the most part, been paying into the system for 40-50 years. Those over 60s?

The very same ones

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Yes, the over 60s who haven't been paying in to the system for the last 10-30 years, those ones.
        Strangely enough, the government don't store your NICs and taxes just for you, but they get spent at the time you pay them. I realise that maths and finance were never your strong point, so let's go to what you know from the days when you used to work:

If you bought a deep fried mars bar in 1975 for 5p and set another 5p away for a second deep fried mars bar to have 40 years later, then you go into the shop and say "I'd like 10 deep fried mars bars, here's my 5p", if they sold you the 10 of them for 5p, it would be costing them a lot more than you had paid.

Just cause you are unable to comprehend graphs and statistics doesn't make them wrong, it just means you don't understand.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

On the flip side my 5p had been invested and is now worth more.....

But the main problem is that you are being kept alive longer with drugs and modern treatments rather than keeling over when you hit 65.

The main problem with A&E is scumbags treating it like a day out or going just so they can have a day off work.

Not really sure what everyone is complaining about to be honest.

Comment

Yes, the over 60s who haven't been paying in to the system for the last 10-30 years, those ones.
            Strangely enough, the government don't store your NICs and taxes just for you, but they get spent at the time you pay them. I realise that maths and finance were never your strong point, so let's go to what you know from the days when you used to work:

If you bought a deep fried mars bar in 1975 for 5p and set another 5p away for a second deep fried mars bar to have 40 years later, then you go into the shop and say "I'd like 10 deep fried mars bars, here's my 5p", if they sold you the 10 of them for 5p, it would be costing them a lot more than you had paid.

Just cause you are unable to comprehend graphs and statistics doesn't make them wrong, it just means you don't understand.
            so over 60's should just feck off and die then?? eh?
            or just until YOU get over 60?

Comment

Last time I checked, the retirement age was 60+ for both sexes. A fairly small proportion will be getting anywhere near to the 30 year point. So stop exaggerating the problem.

And I also realise that the money these people invested into the NHS during their long working lives would, for the most part, have benefited previous generations.

However, that does not mean that they are not entitled to also benefit from a reciprocal arrangement from today's working age population.

The fact that you fail to see the inherent fairness in this arrangement just goes to highlight the fact that you are either a selfish needy ungrateful d!ck, or are too ignorant to have grasped the most salient founding concept of the NHS.
              Or, taking into account your track record of puerile posts on here, quite probably both.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Cost isn't an issue as much as people present, Scotland has historically spent about 10% more and always achieved about the same care levels ( if you look through the SNP's presentation of the stats ).

Local new super hospital cost 900 million, room for every bed which is what everyone wants, but there is not enough nurses to keep going to every room so people get dehydrated, now there is a massive problem with hip and scull fractures when people fall out of bed trying to get to water from the tap. Also after 2 days in a room most would rather be in an old nightingale ward due to boredom.

It's a sign of a dysfunctional system when you spend more and results get worse. That is down to management.

Comment

I have a proposal which may help the NHS - privatise parts of it. Unfortunately, the same people who complain about the current system also complain about any proposed changes to it.

Specifically the bit I would privatise is the hotel bit. There is a fair chunk of effort (no figures, but I've seen it first hand) devoted to booking rooms, arranging meals, tidying rooms, making beds - activities more akin to a hotel than medical care. There are organisations which are simply better at this kind of stuff than the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Cost isn't an issue as much as people present, Scotland has historically spent about 10% more and always achieved about the same care levels ( if you look through the SNP's presentation of the stats ).

Local new super hospital cost 900 million, room for every bed which is what everyone wants, but there is not enough nurses to keep going to every room so people get dehydrated, now there is a massive problem with hip and scull fractures when people fall out of bed trying to get to water from the tap. Also after 2 days in a room most would rather be in an old nightingale ward due to boredom.

It's a sign of a dysfunctional system when you spend more and results get worse. That is down to management.
                    Well i imagine they will be doing everything except asking the patients what is best.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      so over 60's should just feck off and die then?? eh?
                      or just until YOU get over 60?
                      No, I don't think they should. I do think that people should have the option to "feck off and die" when they want to as long as they can show they are making the choice voluntarily and are of sound mind to do so.

My original comment was in response to the title of the thread "The ageing population myth", where I was trying to point out that it wasn't a myth that the ageing population was costing the country more. This point was then hijacked to derail the conversation from facts.

The fact is that a larger proportion of today's NHS budget is spent on a small group of people. The title of this thread says that is a myth. The facts say it isn't.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X