• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The ageing population myth (Very boring thread)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

My original comment was in response to the title of the thread "The ageing population myth", where I was trying to point out that it wasn't a myth that the ageing population was costing the country more.
    Well xog's original figures would seem to dispute that somewhat. Although taking into account your limited intellect, I doubt you understood what it was that he was portraying.

The fact is that a larger proportion of today's NHS budget is spent on a small group of people.
    Yeah. Bloody kids, and most of them haven't even started paying NI either. Never mind though, when WTFH's Party get into power you can always outlaw them! That'd save a few quid.
    Maybe you could even get that much-needed personality implant then?

The title of this thread says that is a myth. My alternative facts say it isn't.
    FTFY

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Cost

Through the advances of medical science we can cure more and more medical problems, help to prevent others and mitigate the impact of even more.
      Pick the average 70 year old up and shake them and they rattle due to the ever increasing number of daily tablets they're on for a variety of ailments including diabetes, blood pressure as well as more exotic stuff.

Drugs are expensive - sometimes tens of thousands of pounds per year, per patient. Even drugs out of patent can get more, not less, expensive.
      Cancer drugs price rise 'costing NHS millions' - BBC News

This means that we can keep people alive long enough to enjoy new and previously novel ailments such as Alzheimer's when they require massively increased social care (though they usually don't get it at the moment).

As we know, 'You can't put a price on life' (TM). So, even though we do some rationing it's nowhere near enough to mitigate the increasing costs compared to the budget.

As politicians might say, 'we need a conversation' about this. People need to make decisions about what they're prepared to pay for the NHS/medical treatment and what they expect in return. At the moment, most people want everything included but don't want to pay any more for it. So, what's it to be? An extra 20p in the pound tax or severely restricted services?

Personally I think we should be looking at a European style partial insurance system. The NHS looks pretty medieval in many respects compared to the French system for instance.

I know people who work in the NHS and the burdens placed upon them at the moment are not sustainable for much longer. Then again, I know people in education and you could say the same thing. They're also cutting the defence budget by the looks of it.

So, what are our priorities?

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
        So, what are our priorities?
        More importantly, how are the priorities decided?

I think I should play admin on the human race.....

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          We are constantly told that the pressures on the NHS are down to an elderly population...
          No, that's another Government lie to divert attention from the real predominant reason for pressures on the NHS - Uncontrolled immigration from Thirld World sh*tholes ( (c) Donald Trump )
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            No, that's another Government lie to divert attention from the real predominant reason for pressures on the NHS - Uncontrolled immigration from Thirld World sh*tholes ( (c) Donald Trump )
            Think you mean reducing pressures by working for the NHS ;-)

Comment

My wife was in hospital a few years ago and the surgical ward was full of dementia patients. There was nowhere else to put them.

None of them needed to be in hospital but the problem was finding anywhere to discharge them to.

They were a nightmare for staff and patients recovering from surgery. Slept all day, then like the walking dead at night.

My wife couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Comment

Dementia will be cured in 10 years.

We'll be the generation trapped in decrepit bodies but still posting tulip on CUK into our 90s with our 1 remaining working finger.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  this was actually quite interesting.

10 charts that show why the NHS is in trouble - BBC News

Graph 1 makes a mockery of accusations of vicious Tory cuts.
                  Somebody doesn't understand how inflation works
                  I wouldn't expect any other understanding of basic economics from a Tory

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Dementia will be cured in 10 years.
                    It sounds like you've got it already.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                      Somebody doesn't understand how inflation works
                      I wouldn't expect any other understanding of basic economics from a Tory

the figures on the graphs were adjusted for inflation. It says it at the bottom.

Obviously voting for the MRLP or the greens means you can't read.

If you read them we spend in real times far more than we did, we spend about average in the EU as a percentage. Lower than France & Germany but we still get worse outcomes.

So no its not a cut. If I go into the boss and ask for a 20% pay rise and walk out with 5% and inflation is 3% you have not had a pay cut. Labour threw billions at the problem unfortunately we didn't have those billions, Labour borrowed them we are still paying them off.

WTFH - The point made about a growing elderly population is significant as they are a significant part of the cost and its going to get much worse. Action is needed now to solve it.
                      Last edited by vetran; 13 January 2018, 14:58.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X